Is it safe to use 1) Humulin M3 or 2) Victoza if out of fridge for a day?

walkingman

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

I brought home from the pharmacy some Humulin M3 and Victosa pens yesterday (Thursday 9th April) and forgot to put them in the fridge. Are they safe to use 24 hours later, having never been in the fridge? I am asking this as I have always been told by both diabetic medics and pharmacist - that both should be put in the fridge immediately after collection. It is now exactly 24 hours since I left them in a living room and have only just found them. Are they still safe to use and at what point should I discard them?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not to sure about the Victoza (check patient info) but the insulin will be fine to use for a month after which it will have to be thrown away.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can keep the humilin M3 out of the fridge for 28 days as I am on the same insulin and I have 2 cartridge's out at the same time and I don't have any problems with it and it is safe to use if the temperature is just over 25 degrees as it doesn't spoil

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can keep victoza out of the fridge for the same length of time which is 28 days and after that it should be disposed of as it will be no longer useful to you and if you use it after that it will be lumpy and fully cloudy as it is when you mix it beforehand to use

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can keep the humilin M3 out of the fridge for 28 days as I am on the same insulin and I have 2 cartridge's out at the same time and I don't have any problems with it and it is safe to use if the temperature is just over 25 degrees as it doesn't spoil

This ^^^^ if the weather becomes really hot I just whack it back in the fridge until injection time.