mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Shaun, don't panic ! As I said before, it's poor control that hurts. Reduce your carb intake and try to exercise regularly. You say recently diagnosed, are you on any meds or anything yet ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Having a metabolism which doesn't work quite right is less dangerous, in my opinion, than having high blood glucose.
Normal blood glucose for non-diabetics stays around 5mmol/l most of the time.
My game plan is to keep mine at about that level. My Hb A1cs are always in the 5s so I'm probably averaging in the 6s for BG.
The simple fact of not metabolising glucose properly shouldn't be dangerous if there's not too much glucose around. My theory anyway
Hana

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Don't think it can be reversed Shaun but it can be slowed or even halted from getting worse. A healthy lifestyle and lower carb intake is the key. Good luck !

eternaloptimist

Dislikes
Special Rights, Ignorance, Organised Religion
I found out i was a type 2, about 6 weeks ago, hang on in there its a hell of a shock to start with, it gets easier to cope and understand, you are far from alone, trust me its nowhere near as bad as it seems right now, in a few days things will start to fall into place,

Maitland

I found out I was Type 2 three days ago. It did take a wee while to get my head around it and I am sure you will. Have a good look through the site and search for any questions you may have that have been dealt with before or just ask. Everybody is here to help. You have certainly came to the right place.

Best of luck

M...

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
eternaloptimist said:
I found out i was a type 2, about 6 weeks ago, hang on in there its a hell of a shock to start with, it gets easier to cope and understand, you are far from alone, trust me its nowhere near as bad as it seems right now, in a few days things will start to fall into place,

With your name I wouldn't want to be given bad news :)

shaun1974

im slowly coming to terms with it...im finding it hard to work out what to eat...how many grams of sugar should u have a day..cos sometimes im worried im either getting to much or less.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
No sugar, no white stuff, e.g. no bread, flour, pasta, rice etc. Read blood sugar 101, Jenny Ruhl a good place to start. Get yourelf a blood meter and test before meal and after 2 hours.
Think Atkins with a lot more veg, and the veg should grow above ground, cauli, cabbage, salads etc.
Don't rush it but now you will have to take more thought about what you put in your mouth.

KerryD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Once you have calmed down, things will seem a little clearer, it has taken me a while to come to terms with being diabetic, but I am looking at this as a new begining, a lot of people are walking around without the knowledge that they are diabetic, we have been given a chance to make a change to our lives, I think we are the lucky ones. :D

eternaloptimist

Dislikes
Special Rights, Ignorance, Organised Religion
@Andy12345
Does bad news exist? Or is it just an opportunity for change :-D
Its absolutly "a hard knock life"
But the harder it gets the more you value it, and more precious it becomes :p

Maitland

shaun1974 said:
it just scares me.things what can happen to you..but i got told if u look after yourself you will lead a normal life..it that true

I have accepted that I will lead a normal life as long as I am careful about what I eat. As has already been said, no sugar and no white stuff.

I already feel a great deal better losing weight. I had a wee blip yesterday (gaining 2 pounds) but I know where I went wrong and how to avoid doing that again. It is all trial and error at the minute.

From the outset I have used "Carbs and Cals" A visual guide by Chris Cheyette and Yello Balolia. I use a Contour Next USB reader testing 2 hours after meals and test for fasting blood sugars once a week. Yes initially I thought it all a bit of a pain but once you get into the swing of things it just becomes natural to check what the calorific value and carb value of your food is.

Take some exercise. I am now walking 10 miles a day and cycling 3 and loving every minute of my new way of life. I know it is difficult to start with but I have looked on my Type 2 as a very positive thing. I know I will never be able to go back to my yum yum's and donuts but is that a bad thing? I think not.

As I said before, people are here to help and support you. I would suggest this is the main reason for this forum.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.

M...