Is jogging good for diabetes?

titus f

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First of all, I am new to the forum, just joined half an hour ago, so if the post is badly placed or has been discussed before, sorry :D.
Anyway, my question is about jogging. I recently tried to make a habit out of jogging, since I want to loose some belly fat. So I jog about three times a week for about 30 minutes at 11 km/h. . Is this healthy for a diabetic? Is it recomandable? Doesn't it put too much pressure on the leg blood vessels or cause other problems?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Welcome. Jogging is healthy, but it won't lose you much weight. Humans are very efficient at walking and running, so expend very little extra energy doing that.

Reactions: 5 people

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Jogging - it's OK but as stated above, it won't give you that ripped look. I find walking - min 3 miles helps lower blood sugars. Perhaps it's burning off the carbs that I missed on a low carb diet.

Go low/no carb and you will get rid of the belly fat.

Reactions: 4 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
First of all, I am new to the forum, just joined half an hour ago, so if the post is badly placed or has been discussed before, sorry :D.
Anyway, my question is about jogging. I recently tried to make a habit out of jogging, since I want to loose some belly fat. So I jog about three times a week for about 30 minutes at 11 km/h. . Is this healthy for a diabetic? Is it recomandable? Doesn't it put too much pressure on the leg blood vessels or cause other problems?

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi welcome to the fourm!

1. You really should have provided your age, your current diabetes status [such as T1 or T2 or pre] and then your fitness goals, intended time frames to achieve your goals. Without such info, it is difficult to advise or judge. I noted that you are a diabetic though.

2. From your post - 'I jog about three times a week for about 30 minutes at 11 km/h' - I can tell you that, this is a very good pace. My best so far is about 50% of your pace, you can check my recent posts with a graph of my heart rate. Just that I ran for about 2hours of time. Note that I am not a diabetic currently, but have high probability [see my profile]. This will help your body in managing the insulin resistance problem very effectively. But really, you do not do run at this speed all the times. Run at lower speeds, but longer duration like up to 50min. Again - do not overdo.

3. What you really should do - get Garmin Vivofit or a higher level of gadget and also Heart rate monitor strap. With these gadgets you can actually measure your heart rate and then decide to increase or decrease the pace of jogging.

4. Make sure that you sweat a lot by the end of the workout, and also make sure that you continuously re-hydrate while running. I keep a bottle of water in a corner of the school ground I run. After every 20min, I take my water.

Hope this helps?

Reactions: 2 people

titus f

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks very much for the advice! Indeed, a gym trainer also told me to run slower but for longer periods of time, but that doesn't seem like a good pace...

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks very much for the advice! Indeed, a gym trainer also told me to run slower but for longer periods of time, but that doesn't seem like a good pace...
Please note the golden tips:
1. Always warm yourself up - brisk walk-2min, very slow jogging-1min, a few push-ups-2min, brisk walk-3min; a few crunches,a few burpees.
2. your exercise of 30min [can rest in between]
3. 10 min of breathing exercises
this is enough per day!

Key is to encourage to stay beyond 20 min. After 20 min of exercise only fat burning starts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi there,
Jogging is perfectly healthy! If you're trying to tone up/lose a little weight then as @dunelm recommends, low carb is a good option (it will also help with blood glucose levels)

Check out this video, as it gives all the basic info that you need.

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found that when you do a sprint for 30 seconds at the end of a running session, this can help keep the bs up for a while

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I found that when you do a sprint for 30 seconds at the end of a running session, this can help keep the bs up for a while
Agreed and currently experiencing too. However, I cannot understand this process. Let me put my 'understanding difficulties' [not the physical issue] in simple terms.

1. Why BS should/will go up after rigorous exercises? Is it really liver dump?
2. This higher BS due to exercises is good or bad?
3. Is this higher BS pushing the person to T2D, if the person is non-diabetic?

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agreed and currently experiencing too. However, I cannot understand this process. Let me put my 'understanding difficulties' [not the physical issue] in simple terms.

1. Why BS should/will go up after rigorous exercises? Is it really liver dump?
2. This higher BS due to exercises is good or bad?
3. Is this higher BS pushing the person to T2D, if the person is non-diabetic?

This page is a good place to start understanding issues of exercise and type 2 diabetes. http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Type_2_Basics.html

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Jogging is bad for the knees,I think walking is much better at any age.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I sprint for buses, but I am a walker and love being out and about. Most exercise is very beneficial to the mind and the body :)

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Yes, jogging should be avoided if the person is obese. Try dieting and upper body exercises. After losing 5% of the weight, start walking [not jogging yet]. Continue walking + upper body exercises + dieting to get rid of another 5% of weight.

Then the person can start jogging.

This is what I did more or less. Now I run for 50 min every day