Is my Doctor being cautious or is my son T1 diabetic?

sambam

My son (6yrs) was seen by paramedics for a breathing issue possibly linked with asthma roughly 5 weeks ago, they noted that his blood sugar levels were high (this was at 1am) but did not divulge what they were. I have thought nothing more of this until today, my son was seen by a GP regarding again his breathing troubles. She as routine has done a finger prick test and noted that his levels were "high" at 7.9 and asked when he had last eaten which was approximately 3.5/4 hours earlier. I informed that the paramedic had recently said same thing, she then stated that two finger prick tests that read high is a strong indicator of type 1 diabetes and wants to conduct a fasting test.

As no expert I have gandered the internet and can see the most reliable test for t1 diabetes is the AC1 test, is this what I need to push for rather than a fasting test?- (which he had around 4yrs of age at request of his school due to them often providing additional snacks in the afternoon as he appeared low on sugar-these were fine)
Further more, the information I found on the internet suggests that 7.9 is very slightly outside of the normal range but not by any means "high", am I incorrect for thinking this? what is "normal" for a child this long after eating? Is his Doctor being cautious and proactive or should I have cause for concern that twice it has been high?

Kind thanks for any responses.
PS. I have never used a forum before so be patient and gentle please :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @sambam :)

You're right in saying that 7.9 isn't "high". Perhaps they meant 'a little higher than expected'. There are various diagnostic tests for diabetes. One of them is two random blood tests being over 11.1. As you can see, your son is below that level.

I would imagine your doctor is just being cautious - which is very sensible :)

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
My son (6yrs) was seen by paramedics for a breathing issue ... and proactive or should I have cause for concern that twice it has been high?

Kind thanks for any responses.
PS. I have never used a forum before so be patient and gentle please :)

Same thing happened with my son @sambam - not the breathing issue but when he was 12 and fighting off a cold I thought it a good idea to test him as diabetes runs in the family. He hit the low 8s. So we contacted my doctor, told him about it and he got my son in for a A1C which indicated he didn't have an issue with high blood sugar levels. He's 25 now and still a non diabetic.

My doctor commented that it was an anomaly and when the body is subjected to stress - be it a cold or "problems breathing" this in turn can raise blood sugar levels among non diabetics to the high side of the normal range. He did order another A1C for him 3 months later just to ensure that it wasn't a trend and just a blip.

So I wouldn't worry too much at this stage - if he's high after a fasting test it's likely they will get an A1C done which will be more definitive on his BG trends. Best to know sooner than later ....