Is my friend a diabetic?

joelcam

Hi all,

I went out for a curry and a few beers on Saturday (first time I have had more than 1 pint since being diagnosed!). Anyway, I was fine and all my levels went back to within range after food etc. I was at 11mmol before eating, probably due to having had a few lagers but was pleased to see it back at 5.8 2 hrs later.

Anyhow, my mate asked me to check his blood sugar in between starter and main course and he was 13.8! I am assuming it's because he was drinken lager and had eaten mango chutney etc, but my understanding was that in a non-diabetic your levels still always reamained within the 4-8 threshold...

I just wondered if this is the case. If it aint, then why should we all stress to get back below 8 after meals if it is okay for the occassional high? It kind of made me dead chuffed that my sugar levels were more 'normal' than his and I am the diabetic!!

JC

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Did he wash his hands before?
Chutney especially can be full of sugar to afect the result.

Generally in between meals 10/11 is considered acceptable.
http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/philip.home/ ... agCriteria

There are a few things that can push up glucose in non-diabetics, certain illnesses / drugs.
It's worth repeatng the test at another random time.
If he's washed his hands, and the reading is over 10, get him to see a doc.

Worth getting him o see the doctor anyway. But only a doc will be able to diagnose him.