1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is the Government about to stop UK farming?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Oldvatr, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

2. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

I suspect they know if they don't get a deal, farming will be crippled by export taxes?
    40% on sheep meat into Europe for a start.

They want finance sorted first and then they can ditch the farmers and import cheap food to supply the supermarkets.

If they let the market sort it out the farmers will go to the wall like car production.
    As long as their money is safe in hedge funds they don't care a fig for us plebs.
    D.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #2 lindisfel, Mar 1, 2020 at 5:37 PM
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  3. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

As I pointed out in another thread here, it is not just sheep but all red meat that is to have the emergency tariffs levied. Not only on exports, but also the imports of same will have similar duties levied in the event of No Deal brexit in December. So red meat prices will double or more overnight, making exports impossible to sell, and driving meat off the shopping list for most of us, especially the poor and elderly. The laws defining this action are already passed and ready for automatic enforcement on the 1 Jan 2021.

Just this second seen a BBC report interviewing a farmer about the news in the OP. He was upset but not angry. The NFU said that it was disapointing that a spokesperson for the gov should hold these views and dissmiss farming so offhandedly. There was no mention that the source is the Chief Advisor to the new Chancellor and the email was discussing removing the tax breaks and subsdies for farmers in the budget on the 11 Mar.

4. lindisfel

The local beef sells well up here in Cumbria, but the lamb needs the European market. So I guess I was being rather parochial thinking about the local farming community.
    The Government needs to keep the farmers on side, they are the ones who will need to agree upstream catchment changes to reduce peak flow.
    D.

5. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Correction. The land owner needs to agree the upstream changes. Subtle difference. Most farmers are either management farmers, or tenant farmers, or hillfarmers Not that many own the land they farm. and if the proposed reassignment of land for biomass is given royal consent in the bill that had its second reading this week then they may find themselves betweem a rock and a hard place. If farms go under then the land will be taken from them in any settlement since they will probably default on tax payments to HMRC. The end will be swift since the land must be producing the new public goods by 2024 at the latest according to the roadmap that CCC and DEFRA are working to.

6. lindisfel

We used to call gentleman farmers in Lincolnshire.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. lindisfel

A lot of tenant farmers have major loans to pay off. Ironically a lot of them are architects of their own downfall.
    They had an assured income in Europe and they voted for the freedom to be poor.
    D.

8. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Provided we get good zero tariff deals with the EU et al than we will avoid emergency no deal tariffs. Then the Gov will need to introduce consumer taxes to shape our choices. I would therefore expect a Carbon Tax to be imposed soon on fossil fuels, meat production, meat purchase, air travel. etc Now we are no longer constrained by EU then our VAT rates can be changed so maybe a 2 tier VAT system like we used ro have? Luxury Goods and fast fashion could be ensnared too. At least these systems involve a certain amount of consumer choice in the matter, so are not so blunt force trauma,

9. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

10. lindisfel

Hi Oldvatr,
    The problem is they want the financial system sorting first and are willing to walk away if its not, its too valuable to have a poor settlement.

I must say I agree with Cummings on HS2.

I think its a vanity project with a poor return.

If the money were spent on cross country routes, which are direly needed, they would get more bang for their buck.
    D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook