Is there a 'register' of GPs who agree with LCHF

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been following a LCHF way of eating for about 9 months now and feel that it suites me. It would be great to be registered with a GP who views nutrition as an important factor in maintaining health.

I did a quick google on our town and nothing came up. Is there any central register or just an informal list of GPs who are interested in nutrition and in particular agree that Low Carb is a good approach for some of us ?

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting question @Begonia. As far as I know there isn't, although I'm sure other members may know otherwise - I'm always amazed at how well-informed they are. Here in Somerset there are a few doctors, Dr Campbell Murdoch for one, who are 'on message', and this county seems to be forging ahead with the sea change (well as forging-ahead as the NHS can manage!) - we have a My Diabetes My Way website, although it's not fully up and running yet. Mr Google might give you an idea - perhaps a general 'NHS doctors who support low-carb' search rather than just your town? (Apologies if you are way ahead of me on that!)

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Although there are many more doctors who will buy in to you low carbing, finding one that encourages you may be more difficult. However, through my experience, I believe if you are truthful and insist that what you are actually achieving is working for you, no doctor would be foolish to try and prevent it.
If you have a food diary, show your doctor the results of low carbing. That may make a difference.

Best wishes

Reactions: Sue192

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you were a over worked GP, would you add yourself on a website that is lickly to result in more people comming to you.......

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Good point. I wonder how many GPs do support Low Carb. If they do, you'd think there must be quite a few who follow this forum.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are lots of GP who support, "No Sugar", "No processed food" and "No high GI carbs", but few GPs truly believe that people will make the changes needed to their diets to control Type2. Hence few GPs present the information in a way that leads to people taking radical action.

beckyw

Type of diabetes
Doctor
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been following a LCHF way of eating for about 9 months now and feel that it suites me. It would be great to be registered with a GP who views nutrition as an important factor in maintaining health.

I did a quick google on our town and nothing came up. Is there any central register or just an informal list of GPs who are interested in nutrition and in particular agree that Low Carb is a good approach for some of us ?

Hi Begonia, sadly there is no list of GP's as we all work so individually with patients and therefore often separately from each other. Hopefully the new DiabeteUK stance re LC will be helpful for you to go to your GP and show them the thinking is definitely changing. I would encourage you to try to find as much information as possible to give you your GP because in my own experience, many GP's are simply unaware. They aren't trying to be obstructive but are simply advising diabetics to follow the national guidelines. We in the LCHF camp are hoping these will change soon. At least you can get good advice here and on dietdoctot.com. Best wishes Becky. GP in Highland