Is there ANY bread that I can eat ?

JIS

Hello all; I have been T2 for just over 2 months now and have radically changed my lifestyle; I am on not on any form of medication e.g. metformin. By testing 3-4 times per day, I now know that any type of bread (say a couple of small wholemeal rolls) will shoot ny BG to 11+ (90 mins after eating); whereas if I avoid ALL bread and almost ALL carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, cakes, pastry etc!) I can stay at around 7.5, 2 hrs after eating and 5.3 or so, between meals.
The ONLY way I can eat a "sandwich" is by having a wholemeal "wrap".
So my question is this; some of you may also be highly intolerant to bread but I am hoping that you may have found a type of bread which is "OK" and doesn't skyrocket your BG levels.
Any help here is appreciated because it's making working lunches a nightmare. (I have lost 8kg and am continuing to shed weight; which may start to become a worry).
Thanks for any help.
John

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
I've had a burgen loaf in the freezer for months now, just grab a slice and toast it straight away and dollop on marmite ( B12 ! ) and it's Bob is your uncle ! Mind you our uncle Bob was a bit dodgy, if you know what I mean !

Liked the oopsies site !

Keep calm eat sat fat and good meat and carry on !

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Spot on Buddy !

The cheese has to be an essential accompianiment ( **** spelling here ! )

Job Done eh ?

Keep calm eat lots of sat fat and meat and carry on !

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally cannot abide Burgen.

Have you tried Warburton's thins?

They are great for making sandwiches, and are 100 cals and 20g carbs for 2 slices (2 slices is one 'thin')

So you can have just one for 10g carbs.

I also use mini wholemeal rolls, also 10g carbs.

Caterham

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed at Christmas and it was a real sickener to me as baking bread was an emerging hobby of mine. I even got three bread proving baskets for Christmas. So, I decided I wasn't going to let diabetes get in the way.

I started eating pumpernickel. That really is wholegrain. You can pick some of them out with a needle. That ddn't spike me at all. Next I tried dark rye ryvita, a little bit of a rise but nothing much. I then tried some of these from a local artisan baker and found that the nordic rye, hearth loaf, sisu and new york rye are fine.

http://www.thehandmadebakery.coop/our-bread

The common denominator is the rye content. Some loaves with wholemeal wheat flour are OK but not all. I still avoid wholemeal flour only breads. When you get to what supermarkets call wholemeal, it is worth noting that one loaf sold as wholemeal only had 6% wholemeal flour in it. The rest was fine white refined. I have found this with nans, chapattis and other unleavened breads. What it says on the label is not to be trusted. Some brands are excellent, but others, ostensibly of the same type, have more spikes than a porcupine.

You will be able to find breads, but you have to test them all. You will increase your chances by going to an artisan baker. This site has a 'real bread finder':

http://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Superchip said:
Keep calm eat lots of sat fat and meat and carry on !

A walrus a day keeps the worries at bay :)

images

I never met a polar bear with diabetes.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make my own bread a couple of times a week, artisan style and typically with a very high rye and whole seed content - Hempseed, Sunflower seed , pumpkin seed and caraway seed usually. I also am frugal with the salt,don't add any sugar and use a lot of olive oil in the dough. Unfortunately it still raises my BG significantly but not as much as wholemeal. I also can't stand Bergen bread so I'm just limiting the amount of it I eat and being careful about what I eat with it, walrus works very well :lol:

LisaR

I have the protein bread from 'The Bread Shop'. There's one in St Albans and one in Bluewater, not sure where else. I, too get high reading on any other bread. I'm type 1, diagnosed in Oct '13. I also love baking bread but have not made any recently. Wraps are a real no no for me, even whole meal so you're lucky!

Good luck with this!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Roman

There is a bakery in Bradford that does a nice sourdough rye bread with caraway seed - the Kolos bakery. It's sold in Booths Supermarkets in this part of the world.
It's really tasty - freezes well - and works out at 21.6g of carb per 100g

They do mail order from their website if you can't find a local supplier.

Works for me !

'It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word'

delphi

Hello. We tried sourdough - using our own leven or shop bought - waitrose have 3 sorts of their own brand 2 of which incl the rye or seeds - we have the 'normal, The long ferment is supposed to make your body's access to the carbs harder - if that makes sense. Second was wheaten bread - with a nice piece of smoked salmon. Works for us (him indoors).

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App