Is There Any Cereal That Is Ok To Eat For Breakfast.

BaffledGary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm wondering if there is any cereal that is ok for breakfast.
I was going to have porridge, but then read it's a red food.
so can anyone reccomend a cereal i can have?
i dont like cooked breakfasts would prefer a bowl of cereal or something very simple. a smoothy or something.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think @Brunneria has a recipe she enjoys. you could also try a search here and on Google. There are a number of low carb cereal recipes online

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Full fat greek yogurt with a few berries or crushed nuts, low carb muffins, cold hard boiled egg, cheese. leftovers from the night before. There is no law saying breakfast has to be traditional breakfast foods.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on what you personally are able to eat some here do eat porridge and are fine with it You can only try to see how it affects you

Scubamup

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a porridge eater. Just had to reduce portion size. Yes its carby, but its filling and I don't then want to snack. I also go for home made muesli. My better half has concocted a recipe that's way less carb than the shop bought stuff, and tasty. Shreddies I find seem to be relatively filling for their bg hit. But you've gotta try n test. Good luck.

Reactions: KezG

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
i dont like cooked breakfasts would prefer a bowl of cereal or something very simple. a smoothy or something.
I have weetabix with hot milk

Reactions: KezG

Ciprian68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I eat 50 grames of oat flakes with 250 ml of yogurth everyone morning,.

jimfraser

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have porridge and banana - seems to be OK. Bought some rice crispies cos I thought they would be sugar free - no chance!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have porridge and banana - seems to be OK. Bought some rice crispies cos I thought they would be sugar free - no chance!
Are you testing your levels after eating porridge and banana to see what it does to your blood? Also please remember it is carbohydrate that pushes your bloods up not just sugar. Nearly all carbs are converted into sugar once inside your body.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
that would be counter productive, as im 24 st and trying to lose it. cant skip meals. thank you for the reply though
Sorry mate but I'm living proof you can skip meals and loose weight. Stopped having breakfast from the day after I was diagnosed. Have gone from 23 stone to 17 in 10 months.

Reactions: 6 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Try a bullet proof coffee for breakfast.
You'll not want to eat for hours.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I can handle porridge so long as it has a spoonful of coconut oil in it.
If I have no coconut oil in which is very very rare I bung a spoonful of butter in.

gymbob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find a good breakfast for me is Freekeh or Spelt grains (1/4 of a pack as sold by Merchant Gourmet) mixed with plain yogurt (100-150g) sweetened with something like agave or maple syrup (the wholegrain slows its absorption really well) and topped with fruit. This can take me through a heavy training session a couple of ours later without blood sugar crashes - I'm type 1 on a basal- bolus regime...

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I find a good breakfast for me is Freekeh or Spelt grains (1/4 of a pack as sold by Merchant Gourmet) mixed with plain yogurt (100-150g) sweetened with something like agave or maple syrup (the wholegrain slows its absorption really well) and topped with fruit. This can take me through a heavy training session a couple of ours later without blood sugar crashes - I'm type 1 on a basal- bolus regime...
This will work for someone on insulin that can cover it but not usually so much for a type 2 that is not on insulin. This breakfast would spike me into the teens very quickly, some might be able to get away with the grains but most could not tolerate agave or maple syrup. And the fruit just adds to it. This meal is very carb heavy.