Is this a hypo ?

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm undiagnosed yet, pending further test.

I tested at 12.45 just before lunch and got 3.9, is this a hypo. . I was feeling very hungry, yet at 11.22 am two hours after breakfast it was 4.9.
Have eaten by now but worried why it dropped so much in less than four hours .

Advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Some say less than 4 is hypo. DAFNE class it as less than 3.5. Still too low to drive though. Ultimately, if you feel hypo symptoms, it's a hypo :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Some say less than 4 is hypo. DAFNE class it as less than 3.5. Still too low to drive though. Ultimately, if you feel hypo symptoms, it's a hypo :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thanks for your reply, I did feel a bit unsteady at the time.

I'd had 2 Oatibix for breakfast and redbush tea both with a spoonful of unrefined sugar in.
I haven't cut out sugar as I'm yet undiagnosed.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Pegi!

No, it is not a hypo. Some would class it as such, but normal BG before food is 3.4 to 5.5, so you are in the normal range. If you were taking insulin or another BG lowering medication, you would need to start thinking about eating something - as you are not at the moment, it's perfectly healthy and OK. Obviously, if you are hungry and it's nearly lunch time, eat! By the way, although you should never drive if you are feeling ill, the restrictions Mo is talking about re:BG levels for driving only apply to insulin-treated diabetics.

Smidge

p.s. I should have said that altjough anyone can get low blood sugars whether diabetic or not, it only really becomes an issue for those of us who can hypo seriously due to our medication. Diabetes causes high blood sugar, not low blood sugar. It is insulin and certain other medication used to treat diabetes that causes low blood sugar and the risk of hypos.

Smidge

Reactions: 5 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well spotted Smidge ! Undiagnosed was the clue lol !

Reactions: 2 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Are you being tested for reactive hypoglycaemia too?

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Pegi!

No, it is not a hypo. Some would class it as such, but normal BG before food is 3.4 to 5.5, so you are in the normal range. If you were taking insulin or another BG lowering medication, you would need to start thinking about eating something - as you are not at the moment, it's perfectly healthy and OK. Obviously, if you are hungry and it's nearly lunch time, eat! By the way, although you should never drive if you are feeling ill, the restrictions Mo is talking about re:BG levels for driving only apply to insulin-treated diabetics.

Smidge

p.s. I should have said that altjough anyone can get low blood sugars whether diabetic or not, it only really becomes an issue for those of us who can hypo seriously due to our medication. Diabetes causes high blood sugar, not low blood sugar. It is insulin and certain other medication used to treat diabetes that causes low blood sugar and the risk of hypos.

Smidge

Thanks Smidge, I'm not on any medication, I'm yet to be diagnosed but joined here as I've been so worried over the past week to learn that I had high sugar in a routine blood test for thyroid, glucose and haemoglobin. I'm obsessed with worry that I might hypo waiting for the nurse to call in the morning, I know it sounds silly : ( but that's the way I am since I went down with viral labyrinthitis before Xmas, it left me with anxiety and balance problems amongst other things. I wake at 5 and worried in case my sugar drops waiting for the nurse. Don't know how I'll cope in those 4 hours , don't want to use up my energy doing anything .

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you being tested for reactive hypoglycaemia too?

I have no idea, is that done from the same blood sample ?
I'm new to all this and it's taken me by shock really.
Thanks.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm not sure how they test for it. But in sufferers their sugar levels in the blood go lower than they should. You are having the symptoms for sure by the sounds of it. It's usually an over production of insulin from the pancreas triggered by sugar intake. Mention it to the Doctor when you see her. Keep testing your levels and log them and see what the pattern is.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi, us diabetics only hypo due to meds, anyone can have low blood sugar , my step dad has reactive hypos, he finds after eating anything carby his sugars drop very low, so now has to eat small meals often:)

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not sure how they test for it. But in sufferers their sugar levels in the blood go lower than they should. You are having the symptoms for sure by the sounds of it. It's usually an over production of insulin from the pancreas triggered by sugar intake. Mention it to the Doctor when you see her. Keep testing your levels and log them and see what the pattern is.

Thank you for explaining.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, us diabetics only hypo due to meds, anyone can have low blood sugar , my step dad has reactive hypos, he finds after eating anything carby his sugars drop very low, so now has to eat small meals often:)

Thank you totsy, as you can imagine I'm in a total muddle at the moment.
Over the years I've been eating little and often, never anything refined.
How does your stepdad get his sugar levels up after they drop, what I mean is, what does he eat to get the level back.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

For years I have got shaky and lightheaded if I haven't eaten for a while so I know how you feel. Before I low carbed I would have dreaded having a fasting test but I haven't had anything like this since I have cut down my carbs. Are you eating less carbs? I was prediabetic but my last hba1c was in the normal range.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was unable to last until the test, felt sweaty and unwell so had to eat at 7.30 am, hadn't slept all night. Was a wreck when the nurse called. She rang the Dr's surgery to tell them I'd been unable to fast and they didn't reschedule as I can't go through fasting again, she was told to go ahead and get a sample. I noticed they're doing the HBA1c , she wrote on the form I hadn't fasted, the time I ate and time sample was taken.
Will they be able to determine from the HBA1c if I'm pre diabetic ? I had two Oatibix, which one is better , Oatibix or weetabix .

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oops forgot, I monitored myself straight after she took the blood sample, bearing in mind it was two hours after having eaten and it was 7.1 Is this normal ?

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was unable to last until the test, felt sweaty and unwell so had to eat at 7.30 am, hadn't slept all night. Was a wreck when the nurse called. She rang the Dr's surgery to tell them I'd been unable to fast and they didn't reschedule as I can't go through fasting again, she was told to go ahead and get a sample. I noticed they're doing the HBA1c , she wrote on the form I hadn't fasted, the time I ate and time sample was taken.
Will they be able to determine from the HBA1c if I'm pre diabetic ? I had two Oatibix, which one is better , Oatibix or weetabix .

My Hba1c was not done as a fasting test. The test takes a sample of blood over the last 3 months so what you have eaten shouldn't make a difference. The result of the Hba1c will determine pre diabetes/ diabetes or neither. Let us know when you get your results.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oops forgot, I monitored myself straight after she took the blood sample, bearing in mind it was two hours after having eaten and it was 7.1 Is this normal ?
Did you test upon waking up...? if so, what was the reading?

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You did well.
The HbA1c is a very good indicator of what your BG levels have been over the passed few weeks ... It is an average. So it is dependant on the Lows you get and the Highs.... As you get very low LOWS that will offset against the Highs. Let us know what the result is.
Your self monitoring will help you learn to keep your BG levels from going too low or too high...

As for Oat v Wheet abix ...it depends on how your sugar levels react to each... some people avoid wheat... test and see how you react.
You're doing good so far... :cool: