Is this RH?

JaneyH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello from a newbie
Seven years ago I began to suffer vagueness of thinking, sleepiness, actually falling asleep (while at work!) around an hour to an hour and a half after meals. Sometimes I would be asleep for up to three hours and would feel dreadful, shaky and disorientated on waking. I requested diabetes tests which were provided annually but they only returned positive for T2 3 1/2 years ago. I resorted to hardly eating during the day and just having a meal before bedtime so I could function during the day. I mentioned this to GP a number of times but she was not willing to enter discussion. As a newly diagnosed T2 I went along with the NHS recommended diet and could hardly function. Trying to find out what was wrong my research led me to RH but all my reading suggested that diabetics could not have RH. So I got myself a meter and tested every waking hour for a week. Indeed my readings were fine an hour after eating but were dropping to 2.5, 3 or 4 during the second hour! A measurable result even though I didn't understand it.

My questions to you are - do you think this is reactive hypoglyceamia? Or could it be something else? Is it worth trying again to discuss it with GP?

At present I am low carbing with only low GI carbs, recent HbA1C was 44, but still have occasional 'episodes'. A tiny box of raisins can catch an episode I have found. I do feel that the Metformin helps but I only take one with a carb containing meal.
Thanks for any info and advice you are able to offer.

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, @JaneyH

I have to say, your symptoms look like pretty classic RH, from what you say.
- but you know we can't diagnose you don't you?

Well done for finding low carb as the solution too!

Have you had a rummage through the RH threads? This one of mine shows pretty clearly that even with well controlled (by LC) T2, i most definitely DO have RH at the same time.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...aching-me-sooo-much-about-my-t2-and-rh.89347/

If you are still having episodes, you may need to drop your carbs further.
GI never worked for me. It was still too high carbs...
Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello from a newbie
Seven years ago I began to suffer vagueness of thinking, sleepiness, actually falling asleep (while at work!) around an hour to an hour and a half after meals. Sometimes I would be asleep for up to three hours and would feel dreadful, shaky and disorientated on waking. I requested diabetes tests which were provided annually but they only returned positive for T2 3 1/2 years ago. I resorted to hardly eating during the day and just having a meal before bedtime so I could function during the day. I mentioned this to GP a number of times but she was not willing to enter discussion. As a newly diagnosed T2 I went along with the NHS recommended diet and could hardly function. Trying to find out what was wrong my research led me to RH but all my reading suggested that diabetics could not have RH. So I got myself a meter and tested every waking hour for a week. Indeed my readings were fine an hour after eating but were dropping to 2.5, 3 or 4 during the second hour! A measurable result even though I didn't understand it.

My questions to you are - do you think this is reactive hypoglyceamia? Or could it be something else? Is it worth trying again to discuss it with GP?

At present I am low carbing with only low GI carbs, recent HbA1C was 44, but still have occasional 'episodes'. A tiny box of raisins can catch an episode I have found. I do feel that the Metformin helps but I only take one with a carb containing meal.
Thanks for any info and advice you are able to offer.

You are probably reactive hypoglycaemic, but wether your like me, non diabetic or like brun diabetic, we don't know. you do have the symptoms and have found out that lowering your carbs helps also eating very little, often helps.
Do as Brun suggested and read through our threads especially the sticky ones.
If you have other questions, we will be around.
In your situation where most probably your GP hasn't come across RH, I would ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.
I was diagnosed T2, but after along fight, my consultant said I wasn't and confirmed RH with tests.
Hope we can help you!

Reactions: 4 people

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Janey, welcome to the forum.

I'm still fairly new to RH, but it certainly sounds like you might have it. Mine was diagnosed with a prolonged OGTT which was carried out by an Endocrinologist. You're certainly in the right place to get some sound advice and support. Brun, Nosher and the other guys will help you as much as they can. Good luck x

Reactions: 6 people