Is this the feeling?

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
When diagnosed with diabetes beginning of december, I am feeling like an outsider to the world, like i'm different! No one treating my differently but I feel not part of the world properly anymore, just feel useless and i get occasions where I still struggle to take in being diabetic and worry way to much about it. Sugar level scores, food, being hungry, exercise, working, enjoying myself etc. It just seems like it's tooken my world away and I will never be the same.

Will this pass when I get used to having diabetes and good control? Is this just a phase?

Help please :)

Heblady

I feel the same as you..I sort of feel I am living outside myself.
I was diagnosed in Feb2010..I dont seem to be dealing with it very well

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Pretty normal reactions.....I cried myself to sleep for 6 weeks thinking why me every single day when first diagnosed type 1 25 years ago.

You have to take one step at a time, don't overload yourself with information or worries. Is there a diabetic meeting group in your town, they may be able to offer support in person, and I think it actually helps to meet someone in person who has the same impications to their lifes.

However, saying that....sometimes, as even with this forum, you need to speak to positive people.

Diabetes isn't the end of the world, honest. Some people may get complications, some people like myself haven't had any in 25 years.

I would advise though that you do express your feelings to the HCP's that are looking after you, so that they understand that you aren't feeling too good about living with diabetes yet.

I didn't magically come to terms with diabetes on the 6th week, but I did in my job at the time have an open evening for disabled persons and their carers, and that is when I realised that diabetes wasn't that bad, it was just me having to get used to it, and not allowing it o rule my life. I have control, and that I wasn't going to let diabetes control me. Apart from 1 recent incident which was my own stupid error diabetes and me have a pretty good bonding together. Yes, it is my best friend, and as with all best friend relationships we have our ups and downs, but really no more than any other person with other awful diseases such as schitzophrenia or epilepsy etc. It is manageable honest, and you are both having totally normal reactions. It will get better, I really do promise you that.

You need to get support from your family, friends and HCP's. You will get lots of support here, but not the close support that you will and can get from others close to you. Make sure they know exactly how you feel.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
When given a diagnosis of diabetes you really do go into shock. Then there is the disbelief and after that a time of mourning for all that you have lost. :cry:

You often don’t properly take in the information that you are given by the Health Care Professionals and sometimes you just don’t get adequate information at all. :?

If you have access to a computer and are both independent minded and very fortunate you find yourself on this forum and suddenly you find yourself amongst friends who know what you are going through. What a relief it can be! 8)

Read as much as you can, ask whatever you need to know and you will either be given the information you want or you will be pointed in the right direction to where you will find it. It is a long journey with many twists and turns, ups and downs and as we are all different you will be your own trail blazer in many respects but there is lots of support on here so keep visiting and tap into it!

Hope everything gets better for you in every way as you become accustomed to a new way of life and find friends on this brilliant resource. :D