Is this too high of carbs?

bri281295

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For my lunch I had 2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices of danish bread which are 10g per slice, 2 vegetarian sausages which are 4.8g for both, a small portion of fried mushrooms and 2 hash browns which are 17g carbs for both. Then also a packet of crisps after which were 10g carbs for the packet.

So in total, I had 51.9g of carbs.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
That would depend entirely on what it did to your bg levels, no one can tell you what right for you only a bg meter can do that.

That said it sounds like quite a large amount of food for a lunch, I just have a ham or cheese wholegrain sandwich and a small green apple usually.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would depend on how low carb you are aiming to be. For me that would be loads - more than my daily intake. However for other people it wouldn't be.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bri281295 said:
For my lunch I had 2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices of danish bread which are 10g per slice, 2 vegetarian sausages which are 4.8g for both, a small portion of fried mushrooms and 2 hash browns which are 17g carbs for both. Then also a packet of crisps after which were 10g carbs for the packet.

Certainly not high carb by any means!

Unsure if your on twice daily injection or MDI being newly diagnosed, if your postprandial bg readings were fine after your meal then obviously you've got the insulin and food intake just right, otherwise if they were low or too high then more or less insulin/carbs should be considered.

Personally your lunch is a little too high in fat for me and I would have included some fruit instead of the crisps or hash browns, but that said I don't like to preach to others what they should or shouldn't eat so if your happy......carry on regardless! :)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
bri281295 said:

Depends on what you are after..weight loss? lower meds? lower bg's? It's a personal choice but 51.9gs is more than I eat in 36 hours.

All the best

Paul

C

chris lowe

Sid Bonkers said:
That would depend entirely on what it did to your bg levels, no one can tell you what right for you only a bg meter can do that.

That said it sounds like quite a large amount of food for a lunch, I just have a ham or cheese wholegrain sandwich and a small green apple usually.

Obviously this is how you keep your trim sleek physique :D

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're trying to low carb then you'll want to try to avoid bread, potato etc. That being said, if your levels were ok after - and are consistently ok after lunch - then carry on.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
SamJB said:
If you're trying to low carb then you'll want to try to avoid bread, potato etc. That being said, if your levels were ok after - and are consistently ok after lunch - then carry on.

Very true