Is your meter telling the truth

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I have moved this topic from my thread to a new topic as I think it needs some discussion, if not done already.

OK I have been to Boots and bought a new packet of 50 Contour strips, and done same test with both meters from same finger, and still getting different readings on each meter. only now the Contour is showing the lower reading at 4.1 and the Accu-check is showing 5.9 what is going on here do the meters always differ in readings and how do I know which is showing he right reading ????
I have also done a control test with bayer test solution. Cont normal range on box shows 5.6-7.9 test shows 6.1 so it is within range.

Now after some research I would have to concede they both are right, as from what I am reading tells me that at best the maters are only 20% accurate as a Type 2 not end of world stuff, but if your a type 1 or in pregnancy, where does that leave you, how can you trust the meter??

The standards used in the U.S. (and elsewhere) today for blood glucose tests were actually established in 2003 by the Switzerland-based multinational organization known as The International Organization for Standardization (ISO), and those standards permit manufacturers +/- 20% deviation from actual clinical laboratory tests for blood glucose levels. (The formal document number is ISO 15197:2003 entitled "In vitro diagnostic test systems - requirements for blood-glucose monitoring systems for self-testing in diabetes mellitus", but be advised that the organization will charge you a hefty 130 Swiss Francs to download a copy of the lengthy document,

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like most technology nothing is 100 percent accurate, once when my meter showed 19.1 i decided to double check it on another one that we have at work and it was nearly the same result. I like my one because its small and easy to carry around and can fit it in a pocket with everything i need if i want to go horse riding and know im going for a ride longer than a hour have it handy to keep eye if feel like i may have a hypo and want to check levels.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I know about the error factor on meters,and I don't take mine as gospel. I use it to check trends, splikes and variations. My 3-monthly HbA1cs are what the doctor works to, and so do I. As long as the error on my meter is consistent, I'm happy.

It's like my bathroom scales - I know they're wrong, but at least they're consistent! (8lbs over!)

My blood pressure is the most interesting. My left arm is always better than my right - the nurse and I have demonstrated that many times! :lol:

Viv 8)

jopar

All meters have to comply with strict tolerances to gain their licence, the tolerance is now +/- 20% but most meters are well within this max tolerance level, most are now around the 10% mark...

The impact isn't that much at all... And well better than nothing or any of the the other method's used which were crude indeed compared to meters!

Hence the reason why you should always use the same meter to take blood tests, and not flick from one to another!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I couldn't agree more, Jopar - I'd rather have a meter that's consistently accurate to 10% than no meter at all!

Viv 8)

Unbeliever

My blood pressure is the most interesting. My left arm is always better than my right - the nurse and I have demonstrated that many times! :lol:

Viv 8)[/quote]

The instructions with my BP monitor state that when settig it up you must try both arms initially then always use the one that gives the higher reading in future.

So I assume that there is a scientific reason for this phenomenon but hey don't explain.

When I test my Bp at home it is always in the low 20's over low 60s. he hospital readings are simlar. When the DN taks it it is something like 200 '98.
She doesn't ge t my point that the evidence indicates that her monitor is less accurate than mine! Yes I do know abou White Coat Syndrome. Apparenly she doesn't!

She doesn't get the point about home moitors and meters of all kinds being useful mainly to track trends. Its a shame.......

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
viviennem said:
I'd rather have a meter that's consistently accurate to 10% than no meter at all!

Too right!!!

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Absolutely and flicking between the 2 like I did for a while drove me mad so I stick to the 1 to check trends like others have said.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
So figures above show 4.1 on my Contour that would equate to +/- 20%@4.1= +4.92 -3.28 and I think you can see they are way off the mark at 37% too the accu-check meter, and they are new meters? So where does the 5% accuracy come into it, I thought you used these meters to determine the amount of Insulin you inject, if that's the case how can that be right? You will be giving yourself too much or not enough. and too much, then getting in a car to drive could be dangerous. Or am I way off the mark here.

jopar

When you take a blood test there are many variables that can effect the blood glucose reading..

As what basically happen's is that the test strip uses a small current to test the resistance of the blood sample, the more glucose in the sample the higher the residence and higher the reading on the meter..

But several factors can affect this single blood sample and influence the reading, such as if you squeeze your finger, you push out fluid which can dilute the blood sample, or perhaps have sweat or moisture on your hands that dilute your blood sample, as soon as you expose the blood sample to the air, it's starts to evaporate the warmer it is the quicker it evaporate. And the longer between the finger prick and drawing of the blood onto the test strip the more it can evaporate concentrating the glucose in the blood sample giving an higher reading on the meter!

Yes I do use my meter to adjust my insulin dose, and the 10% +/- really doesn't have much effect on control outcome.. Has I said meter's are the best so far to establish our likely blood blood glucose levels... Far better than what we had before it became available..

I really don't understand the nit-picking over it all..

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Debate is the key to knowledge, understanding and improvement Jopar, what tells you your meter is -/+ 10% is that printed on it, the point I am showing is it is not even 20% so the figures above show, We all work hard to keep our blood sugars on track, and for our efforts to be thwarted be so, so meter readings is not on. To say they are better than they where before is not acceptable!! So is my car, but I would not accept the wrong petrol consumption figures being given to me.
Please read item, http://sixuntilme.com/blog2/2010/03/acc ... eters.html

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
RoyG said:
Debate is the key to knowledge, understanding and improvement Jopar, what tells you your meter is -/+ 10% is that printed on it, the point I am showing is it is not even 20% so the figures above show, We all work hard to keep our blood sugars on track, and for our efforts to be thwarted be so, so meter readings is not on. To say they are better than they where before is not acceptable!! So is my car, but I would not accept the wrong petrol consumption figures being given to me.
Please read item, http://sixuntilme.com/blog2/2010/03/acc ... eters.html
So in a nut shell accuracy has not improved in over 20 yrs, yet the company's charge over £20 a pop for 50 strips and Diabetes is on the increase no wonder they have not found 1/ a more accurate meter and 2/ A cure, why kill the Golden goose????