Is Zero Coke ok for Diabetics?

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Apart from artificial sweeteners - has anyone researched this product and perhaps other 'Zero' drinks please?

C

catherinecherub

Zero coke.

http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/drinks/coca-cola-zero/coke-zero/

Ingredients: Carbonated Water, Colour (Caramel E150d), Phosphoric Acid, Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K), Natural Flavourings Including Caffeine, Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate). Contains a Source of Phenylalanine

127-coca-cola-zero.png

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm sure they are fine when consumed in moderation, I did use to drink these sort of carbonated drinks but now find they make me bloated.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thank you Catherine and Noblehead - midnight here so I will research the link so kindly provided and the ingredient Phenylalanine tomorrow. Have been using Zero for a number of years here and, because it is a very good substitute, am wondering what the 'catch' is.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The catch is it has aspartame in it which is an artificial sweetener which a lot of people say is bad for you, apparently it turns toxic when ingested BUT I have been searching the net about it as I find it very hard to give up the odd diet fizzy and I can't find any scientific study to support this theory so for myself at least I will still enjoy my diet fizzies.

Reactions: 2 people

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
@Victorri - I am not being sarcastic but are you a diabetic? Also, is Pepsi Max unadulterated, e.g., as I would expect Coke Cola (Not Zero) to be?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I only drink the odd can or two, if I am out and about, on a very hot day, Ice cold and that's it. I always look for zero carbs, any fizzy drinks, only in moderation. Same goes for my non diabetic teen and she has never had a tooth filling or any work done to her teeth :happy:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The catch is it has aspartame in it which is an artificial sweetener which a lot of people say is bad for you, apparently it turns toxic when ingested BUT I have been searching the net about it as I find it very hard to give up the odd diet fizzy and I can't find any scientific study to support this theory so for myself at least I will still enjoy my diet fizzies.
Hi @4ratbags - I don't know if it's bad for you or otherwise - there were some rumblings about carbonated drinks supposedly preventing calcium absorption and thus increasing the risk of osteoporosis. I think this came about because one bit of research, on one occasion, found a connection between carbonated cola drinks and low bone mineral density. No idea how far that went.

I once had a coke - it was in 1967 in a Wimpy bar in Soho - all new and really flash :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wait for everyone to jump on the band wagon of you shouldn't drink it its bad for you blar blar blar. I only drink Pepsi Max nothing else all day long have done for 20+ years and you know what there is nothing wrong with me funny that
You're apparently a cat. When did that happen?
(er, joking :))

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't speak for the general health dangers that may or may not exist with carbonated drinks. What I can speak for is the effect on blood sugars. Coke Zero and Diet coke are the same drink. Neither of them should raise your blood sugars. In the same way, Diet Pepsi and Pepsi max are the same drink, and neither should raise blood sugars. Basically Coca cola and Pepsi are trying to make their drinks seem more 'manly' and widen their target audience. (Apparently men prefer to go for Pepsi max than diet Pepsi. Personally I just grab whichever happens to be nearest to me on the shelf :p). I have been drinking diet coke and diet Pepsi for over 20 years without issues. The only thing is, be careful when ordering a diet drink at a bar or restaurant. Sometimes it's best to almost scream 'I'm diabetic, it MUST be diet!'. I have lost count of the amount of times I have taken a sip and tasted the sugar of normal coke.

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 diabetic and have been for 16 years. Pepsi Max is sugar free. That's my cat angus he's 2 years old love him to death

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I am type 1 diabetic and have been for 16 years. Pepsi Max is sugar free. That's my cat angus he's 2 years old love him to death
Dear Victorri - Pepsi Max's name belies its contents to me and I am sorry - everything 'plus' today seems to indicate energy drinks and me living here in Bali have not seen the product on sale. What you doin' with my cat's picture ??? That's not Angus it's Scuffy my cat!! Scruffy is identical to yours. He and his brother were feral here and I tamed him to become a housecat. Would have had his brother but he disappeared Most cats die here before they are 5 months old due to a wicked virus mainly carried by the kittens' mother which means all litters die so I am lucky to have him he is about 2 years old also.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't believe that artificial food/drink is good for anyone's health, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
I only drink it in conjunction with vodka. Doesn't affect the BS at all.

GoldenMouse

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Although they have monetized it for 0 sugar but we should avoid these drinks. You can differ with my opinion though.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've drunk Pepsi Max, Fanta Zero, Sprite Zero and other 'diet drinks' for years - long before I was diagnosed as T2 diabetic. I drink, on average, 3 a week and seemed to have survived!