IT HAS BEGUN......Newcastle Diet

chris555

ok so i am on day 2 feeling hungry not sure weight is coming off but fitness is improving by a hell of a lot weight lifting currently finding the microwave bags of veggies in asdas very helpful to get real food calorie counted and preped im a busy man full time job student and getting fit for the army (pre diabetic maybe type 2 now) this is the shake i have gone for as it has the least amount of sugar for making up the carbs http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/breakfast-smoothie/10938283.html what do you think am i doning it right i also read that it was 800 cal if this is wrong please correct me. also doing no fruit fizzy drinks sweets ect just water, really want to get in the army and move out

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prof Taylor recommended 3 shakes and then 200g of non starchy veg. This is a total of 800 cals. I think the veg was really just to help keep bowel movements regular.

Is the weights and running a new exercise regime or one you've been doing for a while. I'd be careful trying to start a new fitness regime whilst starting on a very low calorie diet.

Have you bought a monitor and strips so you can monitor your blood sugars whilst you do the Newcastle Diet?

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should also add olive oil to the vegetables to minimise the risk of gallstones. It's not mentioned in the Newcastle Diet literature, but is covered on the Optifast website (the original shakes used for the study).

chris555

sort of new but im trying to join the army so im now doing at proper intensity to be perfectly honest if i pass out i pass out, thats how seriously i want in to the army and rid of this pre diabetes/ start of diabetes ****

Jay309

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi chris555,
I was diagnosed with type 2 while I was still in the army, I still am as a full time reservist with 24 years under my belt. The Army looks after its soldiers very well but when it comes to basic training its carbs carbs carbs really as you have set meal times and menus. They don't really cater for diabetics as such on the food front but as most camps, once you are out of basic training, are "Pay as you dine" cookhouses it means that you can choose what to eat. I try to steer clear of heavy carbs but I do have rice, pasta and the occasional jacket potato.
Hope that helps a bit mate. Any questions just ask.

Jay309

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What shakes do you suggest? any advice is helpful as im new to the Newcastle diet.
Thanks

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Are you over weight? Perhaps a low carb high fat diet would be better for you (http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf), especially if you are doing physical training. Reducing carbs to below 50 g a day can result in steady weight loss and reversal of insulin resistance. I wonder if your elevated blood glucose was just due to a too high carb diet or if you were eating a lot of industrial processed food.

chris555

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What shakes do you suggest? any advice is helpful as im new to the Newcastle diet.
Thanks

Hello @Jay309

Over the time I have been on the ND, and now on maintenance but still having a shake a day mainly for breakfast, my shake 'ingredients' have changed.

My current recipe is :

500 ml of cold water
50 grams of My Protein Impact Whey Isolate (Danish Cinnamon flavour)
25ml Rapeseed oil
1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon powder
4 teaspoons of chia - flaxseed powder

The rapeseed oil is for dietary fat to reduce the risk of gallstones
Cinnamon powder is because (a) I like it & (b) because its supposed to be good for diabetes

Chia has well known properties both for energy and helping you feel satiated. Flaxseed (linseed) is high in dietary fibre

Neither of the seeds mix very well in a shake (makes for a gritty taste) -- but they mix considerably better if you blitz them in a cheap £5 coffee grinder for about 15 seconds, making a very fine powder

50 grams of My Protein Impact Whey Isolate provides
:
194 kcal
0.6gr fat of which 0.4gr is saturated
1.2gr of carbohydrates of which NONE are sugars
46 gr of proteins

Hope this is helpful for you :)

chris555

ok so the breakfast smoothie has proven to be horrible and my diet has failed the last few days so i am back on it with a vegence tomorrow my weight has come down and i know my blood sugar is down as most of the unpleasant symptoms have stopped tho i will need to confirm this. i intend to use complan tomorrow till my new shake arrives. last time i weighed my self me weight was 15 stone 4lbs so down by a stone in one week. this is also being combined with vigorous exercise and body building programme