1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

It worked

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by woollygal, Jun 14, 2021.

1. woollygal

woollygal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you to everyone who offered advice on my drinks situation and the adding of pink salt. It came in my shopping yesterday.
    Today I have drank almost 3 litres of water that had pinch of salt, slice of lemon and some cucumber.
    No I’ll effects and no headaches.
    It is a blooming miracle.
    Now it was stupidly hot (29 degrees) and by lunchtime (I started at 7.30am) I did feel completely done in and could easily have laid down for a kip. But 1 jelly baby later and I perked up. it was still a struggle and was harder than a normal day energy wise etc but I’m so happy I could drink all that and not feel rubbish. To drive home I felt very tired again so just had another jelly baby to make sure I got home ok.
    I’m still thirsty and could happily have drank more but it was certainly better than previous when I couldn’t drink as much as I needed and still felt rough.
    Now just a quickie, am I right in thinking a lump of cucumber because I’m not actually eating it, it’s just diffusing, that I don’t need to count carbs?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I wouldn’t bother!

Glad the salt worked.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. woollygal

I’m going to try have another litre before bed and see if that helps with sleep!!

4. jim1951

jim1951 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If I drank a litre before bed my sleep would be broken by trips to the loo!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes · Well-Known Member

Having not read the original thread, I'm just guessing that this is about making one's own electrolyte drinks, for the benefits of greater hydration.

Not sure if you have a juicer, but what I do is juice a batch of ginger, lemon, celery and beetroot (Could easily add cucumber to that mix). From there, pour the juice into ice-cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to freezer-bags and freeze more of the juice (presumes you made a larger quantity. Then any time you have water, just grab one or two cubes.

Not sure how this would fit into low-carb macros, but I could probably calculate how it works out, next time I make a batch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@woollygal I'm glad you have found something that is helping you drink more and definitely think the salt will have helped- I think it really stuck in my doctors craw to recommend I have more salt.

@Beating-My-Betes _ what advantages does your suggestion have over what the op has actually had-what electrolytes are there in it? what evidence is there to suggest that option? I'd also be interested in the amount of carbs and whether you have tested before and after. Do you drink it as is or dilute it? that may make a huge difference to the nutritional content.

I am very low carb- less than 20 grams a day and usually much less- my doctor had to tell me to up my salt intake which I have done. I personally could probably not tolerate your suggestion and wouldn't even give it a try without something to inform me as to why it may be a good option. So if there is something I would love to read it. If you could do the calculations also that would be great!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Like the beetroot, I’ve been using beetroot powder, supposedly the nitric oxide is beneficial

8. Nexus6

Nexus6 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I recently saw a "no hunger" electrolyte drink recipe which was the following:

In 32oz of water, add 1000mg sodium, 200mg potassium, and 50mg magnesium. Sip/drink through the day to avoid fasting shakiness, hunger pains etc. Keep making more/drinking as needed. More during heat, sweating etc.

I am still looking for the optimal method to get the minerals into the water though....something easier to do "on the fly".

The sodium is easy - I just add some good quality Himalayan pink salt. For potassium, I am using a pinch of "no salt" seasoning though, and for magnesium, I found some capsules of magnesium citrate (200mg), so I break them open and "guess" at 1/4 the amount.

9. Beating-My-Betes

The benefit of juicing the mixture I'm suggesting is a much wider range and quantity of vitamins and minerals. Also, both beetroot and ginger are considered to be very anti-inflammatory. More than that, there is a lot of research into beetroot and it's effects on blood flow, respiratory function, especially as pertains to sports science.

These are my cubes :)

Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 16.36.42.png

I still have a few bags like this, and not much freezer space, so I won't be making any more until some time next week. However, it should be quite easy to work out a general nutritional profile and carb reading. For you and anyone else on such a low level of carbs, however, I think the beets are going to be the sticking-point i.e You might not think the carb-load justifies being among your '20'. I'll try to do it in a way that the quantity could be scaled back to suit your macros. Even without the beets, I think that ginger, celery and lemon would be a good little tonic and help in boosting hydration.

10. Beating-My-Betes

It's definitely good stuff :)

11. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

But they’re not electrolytes, which was the subject of the original thread, which you admit to not having read.

12. Beating-My-Betes

Electrolytes are just minerals that hold electric charge. They include sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium, and are generally present in the food we eat. I've just whipped up a quick example:

Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 18.21.36.png

Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 18.21.46.png

13. woollygal

I don’t think beetroot would work for me.
    Think it would be too many carbs. Given it’s just a drink it would feel a waste to use carbs in a drink

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook