italian food

geoffry

I booked a holiday in italy several months before I was diagnosed as a type 1.5 . I am on metformin and ripaglinide, latter only before evening meal. Consultant does not want me to go on insulin yet as bms fairly controlled but still can be v unpredictable. What sort of foods can I have when i go to italy. I don't particularly low carb (bar not having too much pasta and rice) as I lost a lot of weight when i was diagnosed and as I was already v slim them, am still underweight now. Any tips greatly appreciated.

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

I'll bump your post up in the hope that a Type1.5 will answer.

Have a lovely holiday.

CC.

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Hi Geoffry , I live in Italy and was diagnosed with 1.5 at the end of january. I haven,t had any food problems here as basically the carb rules apply here as at home. A lot of people here tend to buy pasta or pizza made with kamut as it is supposed to be healthier. Also a lot of gelaterias make ice cream without lactose which is a bit better for us diabetics than normal ice cream. Look for things on the menu like insalatone which is a big salad normally with tuna or prosciutto and is really filling and also there is always lots of lovely fresh fish on the menu. Hope this helps and that you have a wonderful holiday.:cool:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm type 1 since childhood and lived and worked in Puglia for 18 years. I think there is so much choice for diabetics, meat, cheeses fish and loads of veg cooked in many different ways. Yes pasta rice and pizza are always available too but you can certainly have a super low carb meal ( I do low carb) if you want to save your carbs for a dessert!!! Enjoy

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Hi Geoffry, just a little bit more info. According to my dietologist a normal (over here) size margherita pizza is about 100 grams of carbs.