Italian meal - need help please

Clairslloyd

Morning everyone. Can you please tell me what I should avoid and what I can eat lots of - am really looking forward to going out :D (not been out in ages) and dont want to spoil my brother in laws birthday by getting a headache and falling asleep :(

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Italians always have a nice Fillet Steak on the menu. Grab a Fillet Steak w/veg, and a side salad (plenty of lovely dressing!) and you'll be sorted. For starters, you could have grilled Prawns or soup (as long as it's not potatoe soup!).

Dessert is more difficult. I'd go for the Cheese platter if I were you.

What causes your headaches/sleeping? What meds do you take with food? If you DON'T take meds, the above meal should keep you awake! :wink: (Nothing there to cause a BG spike).

if you're drinking, have Red Wine (goes great w/Steak!)

Clairslloyd

Thanks Patch, not on meds yet but have left message with DN as cant keep going on like this. Am find it easier not to eat - at least I stay awake. Will try your suggestion of meal and let you know how it goes - sounds delicious :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Claire,

Not at all clued up with Italian food as I have only ever eaten it on a handful of occasions. Why not ask for meatballs with a salad if you are watching the carbs, they may be a few carbs in the sauce but nothing compared to what the pasta dishes contain.

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
If I have Italian, which isn't very often I just have a normal meal but leave most of the Pasta. Ask for a salad and fill up with that. I can't see the point in making a fuss about eating out when using common sense and portion control means my Bg is never OTT. I love a Spag bol or Lasagna etc and various other Italian dishes, Pork is a favourite too. :)

There is always something on any menu that you can have.......

jaykay

Last Italian meal I had was something like this : Tomato and Mozarella salad, followed by meat and veggies, followed by half a cream thing ( something like cream brulee ) that I shared with my daughter. I also had a Kir Royale, which is why, I think, my bg went to 7.1 after the meal but still not too bad :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah - that cream thing sounds like an Italian Posset. It would be a good choice if you made it yourself because you could sub out the sugar for sweetener, In the restaurant, though, they'll certainly be using sugar. (It's basically whipped cream with lemon and sugar).

Meatballs is a good idea - lovely with some spinach. You'd just have to be aware of how much (if any) bread crumbs they put in them.

The tomato and mozerella salad is a great idea for a starter. Usually comes with a balsamic reduction - but not enough to hit your BG's.

I'd avoid small portions of patsa - sound to me like you're a bit opf a foodie!

(P.S - this thread has made me want some Italian food!!!)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Small portions of Pasta are very nice once in a while, if your Bg levels are well controlled as mine are then it doesn't have any real effect. Losing loads of weight also helps to be able to consume things that others may find difficult to cope with.

What's a foodie BTW..... :?

I enjoy my food but I only eat enough to sustain and nourish me without overeating. Comes from eating off side plates and believing that quality in food etc is far better than quantity. Helps keep weight down too as if I ate loads of virtually anything I would soon put weight on. Something to do with my metabolism.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree - a small portion of pasta is nice once in a while, but:

Claire said:
Can you please tell me what I should avoid and what I can eat lots of - am really looking forward to going out (not been out in ages)

So without derailing the thread, we've ben putting in suggestions of food she can safely eat in QTY without falling asleep. based on the info we have, I'd say a resyaurant portion of pasta would have her snoozin' in no time! :lol:

Foodie is an informal term for a particular class of aficionado of food and drink. (Taken from wiki).

Clairslloyd

Patch you are correct. I am a foodie (but not overweight) - even though I want food all the time I do have a small portion :lol: of will power. The pasta would deffo have me asleep in no time so the suggests of just meat and veg/salad is excellent. My levels and nowhere near controlled as the doc won't put me on meds until I have the HBa1c!!!! Thanks to all who posted :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So you're one of th ose rare T2's that are not overweight. It's quite ossible that insulin resistance won't be as big an issue for you as it is for others.

You may well be able to manage without metformin if you can make the right food choices.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Patch said:
I agree - a small portion of pasta is nice once in a while, but:

Claire said:
Can you please tell me what I should avoid and what I can eat lots of - am really looking forward to going out (not been out in ages)

So without derailing the thread, we've ben putting in suggestions of food she can safely eat in QTY without falling asleep. based on the info we have, I'd say a resyaurant portion of pasta would have her snoozin' in no time! :lol:

Foodie is an informal term for a particular class of aficionado of food and drink. (Taken from wiki).

Ah a gourmet ! Yes, probably am then. I don't eat much junk food.

As there is no derailing going on, which of course we would deal with, I fail to see what you are going on about in that respect. You answer people in your way and leave me to answer in mine. We are all different.......:wink:

You see I said 'a small portion of pasta' which if you test afterwards would indicate what effect it has on a person. Who is to say that the OP cannot eat a small portion of something, I also said fill up on salad.....she could eat loads of that. As for portion sizes, nobody HAS to eat a whole portion of anything.......a bit of willpower is always a good thing, especially where your health is concerned.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
But she didn't ask what she could eat a little bit of, she asked what she could eat LOTS of.

Foodies and Gourmets are not the same:

Foodie Wiki said:
Distinguished from gourmet
Although the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably, foodies differ from gourmets in that gourmets are epicures of refined taste who may or may not be professionals in the food industry, whereas foodies are amateurs who simply love food for consumption, study, preparation, and news. Gourmets simply want to eat the best food, whereas foodies want to learn everything about food, both the best and the ordinary, and about the science, industry, and personalities surrounding food.

Dig?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
When I answer posts how you think I should ......it will be a sad day.........dig ! :)

I am a gourmet......a connoisseur of fine food and wine BTW.

Please don't derail the OP's thread. I thought that was a concern of yours.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Claire,

You could try ringing the restaurant in advance and explain you are a diet controlled diabetic and ask them if they wouldn't mind making a dish of your choosing, most would oblige and be glad of the custom considering they'll be a few of you going to your brother-in-laws birthday meal.

Enjoy your night out! :)

Nigel

Clairslloyd

FAb suggestion Nigel, my sister in law is phoning me later, as she had thought ahead, to discuss the menu (great minds). Patch and cugila I appreciate both your suggestions and really don't mind how you get the info across :lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I missed you, Ken. OOO

Clair said:
Patch and cugila I appreciate both your suggestions and really don't mind how you get the info across :lol:

Clair - you are like a breath of fresh air! Stick around!!!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Patch said:
I missed you, Ken. OOO

Aaaaw ! I really would like to say the same....... :wink: