Itchy Feet

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I have had type 1 diabetes for 28 years now and over the past couple of weeks my feet have been so itchy, my sugars levels are not to high the highest is about 10-12 i mainly suffer with lows (hypos). When my feet become warm they itch on my toes, underneath on the ball of my feet and also around the sides of my nails, when i stand on a cold floor the itching seems to go. I told the diabetic nurse the other day she told me to get a skin scrap from the practise nurse or G.P, i told her i had a poditary appointment beginning of march of which she replied wait to she them. Has anyone had anything like this, is it due to the diabetes? My hubby reakons athletes foot but inbetween my toes is not dry or flakey. Its really horrible especially of a night when in bed once my feet warm up they begin to itch, i have to stick them out of the duvet to cool down.

Any advise would be great its so annoying.

Tracey167

kaking54

Even before I was diagnosed with diabetes I had problems with my feet. I thought I had athletes foot but didn't have the redness, flaking or any other visual symptoms, but I itched and ached badly, especially at night. No one seemed to know what it might be, so it went untreated for another 5 years, when I was finally diagnosed with diabetes. It was the beginnings of neuropathy. Be sure to see your podiatrist to have a very thorough exam. I'm sure you are well aware of all the potential dangers of neuropathy in your feet, so be sure to get it checked out. I'm glad you have an appointment soon. Let me know what it does turn out to be.
K-

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kaking54

Thank you very much for letting me know, its just so annoying being woken up in the night by itchy feet. I have been pretty good with my feet i always buy good shoes i.e Clarks or Hush Puppy like they say you should always have a good matteress and a good pair of shoes. Yes i will let you know how i get on with the podiarty in March. Thanks again

Tracey167

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Itching between the toes can be Athletes foot, I get flare-ups from time to time so get a cream on prescription that usually clears it up, hopefully the Podiatrist will give you a thorough check and diagnosis in March.