1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 iThrive From the depths of Diabetes and Obesity

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by robin47, Nov 16, 2017.

1. robin47

robin47 Type 2 · Active Member

Has anyone seen this mini series which is running every day this week and features diabetic Jon McMahon. I've watched the first 2 eighty minute episodes and I am loving it. Can't wait for the next 7 episodes!

2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Would this be TV programme, Netflix series or...?

3. robin47

4. robin47

It's on You Tube

5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Thank you, will check it out.

6. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I'm afraid I found the trailer rather cheesy and I do not understand why they would want my name and my email address. I noticed that Dr. Fung is involved but I'm wary of giving out too much information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

No bacon featured in the ad and I'm sure I saw Dr Neal Barnard's face... don't think that will be for me somehow..

8. trotskyite

trotskyite · Well-Known Member

Just watching episode 3 where they explain all the science behind low carb diets masking the symptoms of diabetes and doing nothing about the underlying disease process which is, of course, obvious to many. This should be obvious but masking high blood sugar does nothing to decrease mortality.

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. bulkbiker

Not all that obvious to me... what part of the underlying disease process has my low carb diet not resolved?

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I'm struggling to understand the phrase'...masking the symptoms'. In what way is resolving obesity, controlling blood glucose, limiting or stalling nerve damage 'masking'?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

I havnt watched it so dont know where they are coming from so this is a complete guess - are they coming from the perspective that controlling symptoms of T2 isn't the same as ‘curing the underlying dysfunction in carbohydrate metabolim? -something similar to the debate about whether things like ND produce a reversal (cure) or remission (control) of the underlying metabolic dysfunction

12. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I recognise quite a few faces in the trailer, including the vegetarian/vegan guys like Barnard and Furhrman - so it seems like the guy is going to cover all sides of the diabetes "reversal" story. I'd be suspicious if none of those guys were included - but as long as Fung, O'Bryan and others are also covered, it's fine with me.

@Guzzler - don't you have a generic email address for just these "sign up required" online events? Once they're finished, it's easy to unsubscribe and stop further emails. I've been doing this for the past 5 years or so without any issues.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Yes, I have an email address that I use if I feel a site might not be all it promises but in this instance I was intrigued as I have never noticed any other YouTube channel ask for one. It made me suspicious about the people (some) doing deals to take part with the possible proviso that their books/products would be pushed.

14. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Youtube is just the video publication vehicle - a rarely used one at that. With free events like this, the emails are used to send you the reminders that one episode is expiring/when the new one is available for viewing (usually 24 hours).

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. bulkbiker

If you go to the Facebook page “ Ithriveseries” then the first one at least is available without signup the first 30 minutes is a bit turgid and very “American” dramatic.. that’s as far as I have got so far.. have to go and walk the dog ...back later..

16. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Hmnnnn, just finished part 1 and got my first premonition when the dangers of saturated fat were mentioned. Plus there is a preponderance of vegan docs and their PCRM cabal, so I'm getting a bad feeling about the dietary stuff. Still, will reserve judgement for the time being until we get down to the nitty gritty of diet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #16 Indy51, Nov 17, 2017 at 12:23 PM
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  17. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I see, cheers, Indy51

18. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Oh dear, I'm out - once they started on all the cholesterol and ketosis being dangerous nonsense, I decided it was time to bail :(

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  19. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting up with that stuff so I didn’t have to.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. bulkbiker

Is that in episode 2? I picked up on lots of bad things in the first part and don't want to waste the afternoon on part 2 if they are going down that route. Also noticed that the piece featuring Dr Fung was very heavily edited jumping about all over the place..

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook