1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

It's dropped off.

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by SueJB, Oct 4, 2021.

1. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, A very quick question:
    My Libre2 dropped off this morning as I got out of bed. Not much of a problem as it was due to end at 5pm today. I've become rather dependent on it and don't fancy the idea of just pricking til then.
    I'd already attached a new sensor to my other arm so my question is:
    Is it OK to scan the new sensor and get it started before 5pm or do I have to wait?
    Thanks

2. Lakeslover

Lakeslover · Well-Known Member

I would start the new one. I try and insert my new one 48 hours before the old one finishes but if the old one fails early I just insert a new one and activate it straight away. I don’t find the readings unstable, but of course you might be different.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You can start the new sensor straight away.
    BUT ... I always need time for my sensors to bed in. If I started my sensor as soon as I inserted them, I would not be able to rely on any numbers or the first 24 hours so would be finger pricking anyway. I prefer to wait the 24 hours when a sensors falls off.
    On the other had, if my next sensor was due to start today, I would have one ready and willing.

But the short answer is you do not have to wait until the last sensor was supposed to run out before starting a new one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks @In Response , it's been bedding in since last night and I usually leave it for 24hrs, think I might just wait til 5pm

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook