It's GONE!

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Don't give up hope! 2 years ago as a type 2 diabetic on 10 tablets a day for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, I joined WeightWatchers. Now I am 5 stones lighter, my diabetes has gone, no more meds my body can do it for itself, my blood presure is so nearly normal that I might be able to come off my last remaining bp pill, my only other pill I take, just 2 pills now not 10, is for some other problem that might get put right. The cholesterol is just about right so I came off my statin too. When I was diagnosed with diabetes 8 years ago I was told the meds would be for life. I am not cured as such, I just don't have diabetes. But it might come back if I don't watch what I eat. I go for lots of walks with a friend, not too hilly though, I have bad arthitis. I left WeightWatchers after I had lost 2 stones. I knew by then that I was in the right mind-set to go it alone. I did pop back last year to let them know that my diabetes had gone but I don't think it sunk in, people don't get over diabetes, do they? They do! When my db nurse told me last year that it had gone she said 'do you know what you've done?' I of course said yes, but I didn't really realise for nearly a week when her words flashed into my mind when I was painting a wall. I stopped and went cold for a while as it did eventually hit me. I now tell as many people as I can, I am not preaching, I hope!, I just want to get the message across to those who may have the illness or may know someone who does. Don't give up hope :thumbup:
Lee

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's fantastic. I have to admit to not always being a good diabetic and as a result I am now frantically trying to get my BG under controls asy nurse wants to put me on insulin after my last hbA1c result being 9.6 (the only one being that high since diagnosis!)

Its really encouraging to hear success stories like this and I hope to join them soon. I have a long way to go and am only 2 weeks in to low carbing but the results are young the right way. I have also become more aware of things like dawn phenomenon which may have been skewing my results as well as ways of taking medications (and actually taking them!)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lrw60

Dislikes
Hi Eveshamgal.
Like you I wouldn't say I had been a 'good' diabetic, otherwise I wouldn't have had a glorious pub made rice pud with a skin you could skate on and loaded with clotted cream and strawberry jam! :mrgreen: Ah well, now I know a bit more I might have to give up on that pleasure. It seems that we have a choice. Eat unwisely and run the risk of making our db a nuisance, or eat only what we should and maybe keep the db at bay. I hope to find a place in the middle, but I don't want the db back.
Keep slogging away!
Lee.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
IRw 60
It's not unknown for pre-diabetes and early stage T2 to reverse. But do be careful. If you challenge your metabolism with too much carb, it might all come back. So keep to low carb!
Well done
Hana

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, trying not to get excited here, this is the second day in a row i read something about diabetes being cured, is it possible for everyone, i know you said pre diabetes and early stage. what would you define as early stage please?...fantastic job irw60 your an inspiration.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lrw60 said:
a glorious pub made rice pud with a skin you could skate on and loaded with clotted cream and strawberry jam!

LOL. Get thee behind me Satan !

I like it with cinamon sugar sprinkled on top and then covered with lightly browned melted butter.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lrw60 said:
When I was diagnosed with diabetes 8 years ago I was told the meds would be for life. I am not cured as such, I just don't have diabetes. But it might come back if I don't watch what I eat. I go for lots of walks with a friend, not too hilly though, I have bad arthitis.

Quite. Due for publication is a follow up to the Counterpoint Study which concludes:

"These data demonstrate that intentional weight loss achieved at home by health-motivated individuals can reverse Type 2 diabetes. Diabetes reversal should be a goal in the management of Type 2 diabetes."

Population response to information on reversibility of Type 2 diabetes.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23320491

As you, and others, point out you have to be careful. Most people have lost about 50% of their beta cells by the time of diagnosis. They don't come back. But, diabetes normally results in the continued decline in the number of beta cells whereas it is now thought that this decline can be halted so, further decline is not inevitable. Furthermore, the insulin response returns to something more like normal, or at least as normal as can be with the loss of those beta cells.

The study shows that 80% of people who lost more than 20Kg 'reversed' their diabetes and that 73% of all people who 'reversed' it did so within four years of diagnosis. It it were a horse, I'd have a bet on it.

lrw60

Dislikes
Hi Andy12345
Not cured, not as far as I know. I am just producing enough natural stuff to keep the diabetes at bay. I am surfing all over this forum trying to find ways of lowering my carbs while staying healthy. Being almost vegan, I drink milk, I can't rely on meats to give me what I need to keep me fit, I have to do it with veg. Up until recently (the day I joined this forum actually!) I thought my breakfast of 60grms of porridge was ok and even very good for me. I have now halved my portion of porridge and reduced the amount of bread I eat to slice a day. I still want to learn more, so please keep the comments coming. In four and a half months time I will have had my 60th birthday and I hope celebrated my first year of not having diabetes. A few weeks back I would have gone to my favourite pub for a slap up vegi meal followed by the rice pud mentioned previously! :twisted: Maybe not now. :thumbdown: A meal for two I am planning for a few days time would have had a topping of 400g of mashed spud. Should I now reduce the amount of potato and use butternut squash 50/50? I do love roasted butternut squash. My favourite butternut squash meal also has red wine braised shallots, I will now have to buy vegetarian wine from the Co-op because I recently discovered that most wine has egg in it. I also eat a lot of fruit, especially bananas and grapes. Good? or bad?
Lee

lrw60

Dislikes
Yorksman said
"I like it with cinamon sugar sprinkled on top and then covered with lightly browned melted butter."

I think the pub I go to for the rice pud serve it that way too. It's just that by then I am semi-concious.......!
Lee

lrw60

Dislikes
Before I joined this forum I thought there were only two types of diabetes type 1 and 2, So I can't help with your query elaine77. But I bet there are loads of people who can. I am still trying to protect myself from any future harm by investigating better ways for me to eat. So many of the foods I thought were ok are not. Following up low GI possibilaties at the moment, is that still a valid eating option or has it been rubbished?
Lee.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lrw60 said:
Following up low GI possibilaties at the moment, is that still a valid eating option or has it been rubbished

It's well worth persuing. I started by cutting out sweet stuff, biscuits, choc bars, buns, sweets etc and then swtiched from refined starches like white rice and white bread to unrtefined starches, like rye bread, brown rice, wholewheat pasta and so on. They are classed as low GI foods. These release glucose into the bloodstream more slowly and an impaired insulin response has more time to cope. Over time, the average BG level is kept lower.

Hiya, this is really encouraging as I have been put straight onto injections via the hospital after negligence from the doctors for nearly 2 years with readings into the 20's constantly!! I plan to beat this but with injecting this hormone it's giving reactions that are emotional roller coasters. I'm not fat and don't eat rubbish food, contrary to the stereotype cases, of which I am not one. Apparently mine maybe genetic, because I don't fit the categories! So I'm hoping, praying and attempting to search for correct diet to help me get off these horrible injections.

lrw60

Dislikes
Allarepossible said:
Hiya, this is really encouraging as I have been put straight onto injections via the hospital after negligence from the doctors for nearly 2 years with readings into the 20's constantly!! I plan to beat this but with injecting this hormone it's giving reactions that are emotional roller coasters. I'm not fat and don't eat rubbish food, contrary to the stereotype cases, of which I am not one. Apparently mine maybe genetic, because I don't fit the categories! So I'm hoping, praying and attempting to search for correct diet to help me get off these horrible injections.

I am not the only one on this site who has acheived good control of their diabetes. Mine was by accident, I went on a diet and my diabetes started to 'get better'. Others have worked hard to get the same result, but they are getting that result. Good luck.

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: It's GONE! - Mine's gone too!

lrw60 said:
Allarepossible said:

I am not the only one on this site who has acheived good control of their diabetes. Mine was by accident, I went on a diet and my diabetes started to 'get better'. Others have worked hard to get the same result, but they are getting that result. Good luck.

Hi lrw60,

I'm almost afraid to say it out loud, but like you, I believe I have managed to kick my T2 diabetes into remission. I was diagnosed in July last year with a random BG of 18, and then a FBG of 11 and HBA1c of 83/9.7%. I weighed 73.9kg, and my BMI at that time was 31.8.

What to do? .....I found this site the following day, and still reeling from the diagnosis, and the casual way in which it was delivered, I researched and read through all the good stuff posted by those whose journey had started earlier than mine. Thanks! :clap:

I reckoned low-carb was the way for me to go to lose weight, but had some reservations about LCHF, (the fat-is-bad message that we've endured for years kept nagging...) so I plumped (pun intended) for low-carb-ish, (no more than 130g, and usually a good bit less) and moderate fat. Nothing like hedging your bets eh?

It worked, FAST! both to reduce my weight and BGs in short order. I was very disciplined, and determined to succeed, as I was stung by the diagnosis. Although I was overweight (obese as it turned out :shock: ... how did that happen? ).. I thought I ate healthily .... I cook almost everything from the raw ingredients .. I love cooking.... trouble is ... I also like eating... :shifty:

So, "portion control" became my new mantra.

My GP pressed from the start for me to take metformin and statins, but I asked for time to try making lifestyle changes first.
He persisted in that regard, every time I saw him, even for non-diabetes ailments! But.... I didn't give in....

I feel vindicated in this attitude, as my last HBA1c in May was 36 (5.4%); I now weight 54kg with a BMI of 23.2. I feel better and look better than I have in a decade ... there's nothing like a major health scare to make you rediscover your love of life.

I've just had my bloods etc., done and will be attending my annual review at the end of August for the results, where I hope
that my GP will confirm that all is still well.

It's been quite a journey so far.... and it's only really beginning..... I know that I will have to be vigilant and will have to make the right food choices every day to keep the diabetes monkey off my back. Like you, I don't know if I am cured, but it's gone for now, and I'm happy with that ... for now.

Good luck to everyone on their own personal journeys.

K

Kat100

Congratulations to you....a big well done....it really is individual for everyone is,nt it.....love your readings...my last one in July was 6.5 not bad it was 19 last November...not sure what I am oing right.....must be something...we again delighted for you....best wishes kx

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Kat100 said:
Congratulations to you....a big well done....it really is individual for everyone is,nt it.....love your readings...my last one in July was 6.5 not bad it was 19 last November...not sure what I am oing right.....must be something...we again delighted for you....best wishes kx

Hi Kat,

Thanks for your good wishes. Yes, I agree, it is individual for each of us. Well done to you too!! My old-school GP told me this disease is chronic and progressive. "You'll get worse and will eventually have to take insulin" He scared the life out of me! :shock: He made it clear he didn't believe in "lifestyle changes" to tackle it, only drugs. I had to really push to be "given" the opportunity to try diet and exercise.

Sounds like you're definitely on the right track too, with your numbers - 19 to 6.5 is a dramatic difference! :clap: Whatever you're doing, keep doing it. Please keep in touch and let me know your progress. As lrw60 said "Others have worked hard to get the same result, but they are getting that result." You've got there too.

I took a lot of encouragement from the results of Prof Roy Taylor's research trials at Newcastle University. His theory of removing the visceral fat (from the liver and pancreas) by following a low-calorie diet makes a lot of sense on so many levels. It appears to provide a longer term "fix" (or hopefully, cure) for some people. Hopefully his research will lead to lots of other people who are currently in a diabetic state to regain their health. In his recent follow-up report he says something along the lines of ... losing sufficient weight is the important thing (I think it was something like 15kg or more) to remove the visceral fat, rather than how fast the weight loss happened or which diet was used. I managed to lose almost 20kg in around 6 months, ....so...... if he's right, I'm a happy bunny.

For me, I hope that, even if I can't "cure" it, that I might be able to keep the diabetes at bay, without the help of drugs, for as long as I'm able. Having to fund test strips myself ("you don't need them... you're now normal") makes life a bit trickier, as I want to (have to?) keep an eye on my BG numbers for my long-term health. But it's MY health - what could be more important?

Good luck and take care!

lrw60

Dislikes
I have always felt a bit guilty that my diabetes doesn't need treatment but others, including my sisters, do. I think it has something to do with survivor guilt, 'why me?' What did I do to deserve this?

The most positive thing I can do is to stay meds free for as long as possible. This will free up NHS funds for those who need it, and, being meds free for some of us also means losing a lot of weight. And thats a good thing too.

I tell as many people as I can, without preaching! so many type 2 diabetics still believe that diabetes is with them for life. This may be true, but they might not need treatment for it. It's worth persuing.

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lrw60 said:
I have always felt a bit guilty that my diabetes doesn't need treatment but others, including my sisters, do. I think it has something to do with survivor guilt, 'why me?' What did I do to deserve this?

The most positive thing I can do is to stay meds free for as long as possible. This will free up NHS funds for those who need it, and, being meds free for some of us also means losing a lot of weight. And thats a good thing too.

I tell as many people as I can, without preaching! so many type 2 diabetics still believe that diabetes is with them for life. This may be true, but they might not need treatment for it. It's worth persuing.

Hi lrw6,

What you did to deserve 'not needing treatment for your diabetes' is take control of your diabetes, lose the weight you needed to lose, and thus reduced your need for meds. You've improved your health, and given yourself a better future. Losing 5st is no mean feat, and you should feel proud, not guilty, of your achievement. Well done :clap:

Not only that, but by sharing your story, you're showing others what might be possible if they set their minds to it.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Others posted whilst I was composing this.
This now doesn't make sense since the post I was replying to has gone so I've deleted it