Its only taken me 2 years to update....

cardmaker

I originally posted almost 2 years ago but have been back a number of times to read and learn. After a GTT April 2011 my GP told me I was prediabetic but then another GP at the same surgery said my levels were fine, there was nothing wrong with me and to eat normally. Well, if I eat "normally" my levels spike very quickly and quite high and it makes me feel unwell. As I explained before, I have had reactive hypoglycemia for over 30 years now and nearly always controlled it with low carb diet, being told it would eventually turn to full diabetes. My GTT showed that after 1 hour BG was 13.1 and after 2 hours it was 9.8, fasting was 5.4. My fasting levels have always been around the mid 5's for which I believe low carbing has really helped. However I am now finding that my levels are rising and as a treat the other day I joined hubby at Burger King. All I had was a double whopper (the bun is quite big) with plenty of salad, no fries, no fizzy drink and I was surprised that after 2 hours my BG was 12.9. I know what I must do, go back to the GP but I am concerned that he will pay no attention because my fasting level is still in the mid 5's. On the odd occasion when I can't avoid too many carbs (dining at friends, willpower failing when chocolate cake is around etc) BG always rises over 11. I am thinking of doing a diary for a week, with good days and a couple of bad days where I knowingly eat things that will raise my BG so that I have something concrete to show my GP. On the original GTT after 5 hours I felt so very ill indeed, tested my sugar and it was 3.2. I really do not want to go through another GTT. Any views/suggestions/opinions would really be greatly appreciated. Thank you.