It's that time again

Elc1112

My licence expires in November and I have just received the renewal forms. The forms seem to have changed since I last applied (or maybe I have just forgotten what the last one asked) and I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you'll be able to help me with.

The form asks if I have any condition affecting both eyes, excluding long or short sight or colour blindness. I have background retinopathy and have done for a few years now. Have others disclosed this?

Secondly, the form asks if I have ever had an episode of hypoglaecemia. If then goes on to ask if I have ever had a severe hypo and if I am hypo aware. I don't remember being asked in the past about hypos in general, just severe ones that have required assistance. I am worries that if I tick the box to say that I have hypos I will have my licence revoked. I have never required assistance and have very good hypo awareness. What have others done here and what has been the outcome?

Many thanks in advance. I completely understand the need for these forms but I hate them. They panic me far too much!

Em

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Elc1112 said:
The form asks if I have any condition affecting both eyes, excluding long or short sight or colour blindness. I have background retinopathy and have done for a few years now. Have others disclosed this?

Yes. I disclosed it when I had early (background) retinopathy, then when it descended to prolific retinopathy and then when I had lasering and a vitrectomy to my right eye.

If you lie on the form, you are being irresponsible and run the risk of being banned should it later be discovered you have failed to disclose a change to your condition... you may also then be driving without insurance.

Just because you have retinopathy (background or prolific) doesn't necessarily mean you lose your licence: if you can see clearly and have maintained peripheral vision, then you should be OK to drive.

Elc1112 said:
Secondly, the form asks if I have ever had an episode of hypoglaecemia. If then goes on to ask if I have ever had a severe hypo and if I am hypo aware. I don't remember being asked in the past about hypos in general, just severe ones that have required assistance.

Again, you need to be honest: if you're not hypo aware, then you're probably not safe to drive... if you've had more than two hypos needing assistance in a year then you may also need to consider whether you're safe to drive at this time... However, I do think that DVLA are being overly harsh on this rule: if you hypo in your sleep and need help from someone else, is that really an issue? I think not: who drives in their sleep? And if you sleep at the wheel, then you're a fool to yourself and everyone else on the road - and that's not diabetes dependent!

Elc1112 said:
I am worries that if I tick the box to say that I have hypos I will have my licence revoked. I have never required assistance and have very good hypo awareness. What have others done here and what has been the outcome?

In the past, I have ticked the box that asks if I have hypos and have never been refused a licence... the DVLA are strict with us, but not completely unrealistic: having hypos is not unsafe - unless you have no awareness or control over them.

As far as the forms are concerned, they are still ****, but much better than they once were: they used to ask 'Have you ever had a black out or disabling fit of giddiness'?

In 1997, I answered 'Yes' to that question: I had had a severe hypo when I was 9 years old, which needed help from my brother and a passerby.

DVLA refused my licence renewal... Why? "Because you are epileptic."
"No, I am not; I am diabetic."
"But you said you have blackouts..."
"No, I answered Yes to the question: Have you EVER..."

Three weeks and one letter (of explanation) later I got my licence. :mrgreen:

denbo

Hi I'm just renewing my hgv I was made redundant end ov sept so firms I've applied to will not except paper work dvla sent me to drive hgv I've ad a medical also seen my consultant I've wrote to Cameron examine them at the dvla need to send ya renewal out 2mths b4 it expires and I've also told dvla this too so I've wrote in letter to me Cameron that I av ad to turn two jobs down cus ov dvla they r a waste time my consultants pleased with me so got wait for them now for me licence the consultant faxed it through last fri so god knows wha they r playin at I don't think they know themselves waited 10 mths last yr for it as it was first time applying as it ad only just bin passed about drivin bein on insulin and I think that was with writin to Cameron bout how long it was takin em as ad it bk then within days so I'm just waitin now