1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I've bought an avocado, now what

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by carol43, Dec 12, 2015.

1. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Never liked avocado before but I've now bought one, what shall I do with it? Polite answers only please.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

There are lots of things you can do, and you will get lots of suggestions. I like to just cut it round the middle, take out the stone, fill the space with Worcester Sauce and eat with a teaspoon.
    Make sure it is ripe - it should be just slightly soft when you squeeze it, not hard. If it's hard just leave it out for a day or two and it will ripen more.

3. chinta

chinta Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Make a salad dressing with olive oil and lemon juice and do same as above. Or cut in half, fill with prawns and top with mayo.

4. apple123

apple123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It will ripen more quickly if you keep it with a banana in a closed paper bag.

Mashed on low-carb toast is really nice (if you can tolerate low-carb toast). You can season with lemon juice and black pepper.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

mashed with black peper and spring onion on low carb bread or mashed with canned tuna, chopped onion, 1 egg and fried like mini burger

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Chop it up and add to a salad, that's all I ever do.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I find that their skin can look a bit oily too when they're ready to eat.

Chop one up and mix with some sour cream or yoghurt, a little tomato paste and salt and pepper for a quick small meal/snack.

Chop up, warm slightly and add chopped fried or grilled bacon, any bacon fat from the pan, a few pine nuts, and salt & pepper, for a more substantial meal. You can brown the pine nut slightly in the bacon fat or add them as is.

Have a look under our low carb recipes or do a forum search for more ideas. I think someone made tuna and avocado patties?

Robbity

8. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

With dark choc... Loads of recipes for chocolate n avocado mousse!! Just in case you ever get ones reduced as especially ripe.. These make good mousse!!

Like you, I was wary at trying avocado-didn't have a clue but love them now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

I love an avocado - as they are a good fat .
    I love an egg sliced with avocado on a salad .
    Well grilled bacon crumbled on also .

I use paprika on mine as a seasoning .
    After a good squeeze of lemon juice .

Quick small lunch ?
    Mash up and plonk onto small crackers .
    Add handful of cherry tomatoes / sliced boiled egg .
    Am quick nibble and off to parents home ;) .

• Like Like x 2
  10. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Apparently sliced with bacon wrapped round are nice?

11. Safi

Safi Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Burgen or flax seed toast spread with yeast extract of choice (vegemite for me), mashed avocado, black pepper & a soft fried egg - regular Sunday night dinner for us :D

I also mash it & mix with sour cream, a bit of mayo & some chopped chipotle chillis for a veggie dip or salad dressing.

Edit - Oops - another good one is mashed & used in a (vegetarian for me) BLT omelette.

• Like Like x 2
  12. dawnmc

dawnmc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I make guacamole, or slice it up and add to salads, you can add an egg in the middle and cook in the oven.
    By the way scoop out the stone with a spoon or squeeze it out, DONT use a knife to hit the stone and twist it out, I did that with a ripe one and sliced my finger that I had to have stitches.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Duncan57

Duncan57 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mashed avocado spread on one slice of bread, peanut spread (sugar and salt free) on the other slice, sliced banana or tomatoe in the middle. Yum.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Amethyst8

Amethyst8 Type 2 · Active Member

15. Amethyst8

I liked your answers on your Avocados.I either like it by itself or use lemon & a pinch of ground pepper with it.
    I found out that Avocado stone can be soften in water cut in half & use it in the smoothies with the other ingredients. Avocado powder
    can be bought too.The stone got more health benefits.I would like to know whether anyone tried this?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Amethyst8

17. Amethyst8

I also didn't like it at first but I gave it a try & now I like it. I jazz it up with lemon & pepper or use other
    ingredients, can add to salad.
    just be careful when you try to cut it & lift the stone carefully.
    Buy the Hass Avocado as it is a suitable size to eat.Most supermarkets sell them.

• Like Like x 2
  18. zed

zed · Active Member

I make a salad dressing chop it up put it in a blender, add some salt and pepper, lemon juice and a tiny bit of Mayo. I use it on toast or crackers.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

Mash the flesh, add a half teaspoon of lime juice and a little salt then use mixture to top both halves of a sliced and toasted Lidl Protein Roll. Yum

• Like Like x 2
  20. pleinster

pleinster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have one most days for lunch..cut it in half, chuck the stone, squirt small bit of mayo on it...scoff. I maybe have some dried bacon strips with it (they have no carbs). It's good in salad too.

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook