I've bought an avocado, now what

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Never liked avocado before but I've now bought one, what shall I do with it? Polite answers only please.

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There are lots of things you can do, and you will get lots of suggestions. I like to just cut it round the middle, take out the stone, fill the space with Worcester Sauce and eat with a teaspoon.
Make sure it is ripe - it should be just slightly soft when you squeeze it, not hard. If it's hard just leave it out for a day or two and it will ripen more.

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Make a salad dressing with olive oil and lemon juice and do same as above. Or cut in half, fill with prawns and top with mayo.

D

Deleted member 43917

It will ripen more quickly if you keep it with a banana in a closed paper bag.

Mashed on low-carb toast is really nice (if you can tolerate low-carb toast). You can season with lemon juice and black pepper.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
mashed with black peper and spring onion on low carb bread or mashed with canned tuna, chopped onion, 1 egg and fried like mini burger

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Chop it up and add to a salad, that's all I ever do.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that their skin can look a bit oily too when they're ready to eat.

Chop one up and mix with some sour cream or yoghurt, a little tomato paste and salt and pepper for a quick small meal/snack.

Chop up, warm slightly and add chopped fried or grilled bacon, any bacon fat from the pan, a few pine nuts, and salt & pepper, for a more substantial meal. You can brown the pine nut slightly in the bacon fat or add them as is.

Have a look under our low carb recipes or do a forum search for more ideas. I think someone made tuna and avocado patties?

Robbity

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
With dark choc... Loads of recipes for chocolate n avocado mousse!! Just in case you ever get ones reduced as especially ripe.. These make good mousse!!

Like you, I was wary at trying avocado-didn't have a clue but love them now.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I love an avocado - as they are a good fat .
I love an egg sliced with avocado on a salad .
Well grilled bacon crumbled on also .

I use paprika on mine as a seasoning .
After a good squeeze of lemon juice .

Quick small lunch ?
Mash up and plonk onto small crackers .
Add handful of cherry tomatoes / sliced boiled egg .
Am quick nibble and off to parents home ;) .

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Apparently sliced with bacon wrapped round are nice?

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Burgen or flax seed toast spread with yeast extract of choice (vegemite for me), mashed avocado, black pepper & a soft fried egg - regular Sunday night dinner for us :D

I also mash it & mix with sour cream, a bit of mayo & some chopped chipotle chillis for a veggie dip or salad dressing.

Edit - Oops - another good one is mashed & used in a (vegetarian for me) BLT omelette.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I make guacamole, or slice it up and add to salads, you can add an egg in the middle and cook in the oven.
By the way scoop out the stone with a spoon or squeeze it out, DONT use a knife to hit the stone and twist it out, I did that with a ripe one and sliced my finger that I had to have stitches.

Reactions: 4 people

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mashed avocado spread on one slice of bread, peanut spread (sugar and salt free) on the other slice, sliced banana or tomatoe in the middle. Yum.

Amethyst8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I liked your answers on your Avocados.I either like it by itself or use lemon & a pinch of ground pepper with it.
I found out that Avocado stone can be soften in water cut in half & use it in the smoothies with the other ingredients. Avocado powder
can be bought too.The stone got more health benefits.I would like to know whether anyone tried this?

Amethyst8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I also didn't like it at first but I gave it a try & now I like it. I jazz it up with lemon & pepper or use other
ingredients, can add to salad.
just be careful when you try to cut it & lift the stone carefully.
Buy the Hass Avocado as it is a suitable size to eat.Most supermarkets sell them.

zed

I make a salad dressing chop it up put it in a blender, add some salt and pepper, lemon juice and a tiny bit of Mayo. I use it on toast or crackers.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Mash the flesh, add a half teaspoon of lime juice and a little salt then use mixture to top both halves of a sliced and toasted Lidl Protein Roll. Yum

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I have one most days for lunch..cut it in half, chuck the stone, squirt small bit of mayo on it...scoff. I maybe have some dried bacon strips with it (they have no carbs). It's good in salad too.