I've just broken my duck . . . . . . . . My first hypo

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I've been having some much lower than usual BGs over the past week which I shared with my DNS in my weekly email last (Sunday) night.
This morning level was 4.7 after breakfast 10:00, my usual breakfast of Greek yogurt and berries, linseed and coconut. I was working in the garden and around 11:30 started to feel ill which very quickly progressed to feeling very ill. Basically I did not feel compus mentis. I went upstairs and checked BGs which were down to 2.3. Crikey !!! My first hypo.
I chomped on two glucotabs followed by 2 weetabix with milk and rested for an hour at which time BGs were up to 8.1.
This was my first hypo since being on insulin (Oct13). DNS advised that BGs can be aggravated by hotter, humid weather and to eat more snacks if I am doing physical work.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Reactions: 2 people

lely

My first hypo. Dec 07, happened on holiday in Gran Caneria, hot weather effects my bg dramatically and normally I get great warning signals but don't feel them in hot weather so tend to test a little more often in summer.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
How are you feeling now?
Hi there, thx
Wiped out to be honest - have been all day. Just didn't realise what an impact it had on each person.
Don't wanna go there again anytime soon.

Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
My first hypo. Dec 07, happened on holiday in Gran Caneria, hot weather effects my bg dramatically and normally I get great warning signals but don't feel them in hot weather so tend to test a little more often in summer.

Thx for that Lely - will bear it in mind. So much to learn. . . . .

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hot weather has an impact on me too, especially if I'm in full sunshine doing something. However even the increase in temperature has changed my basal rates.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well on a positive note Alan at least you've got your first one out of the way and know what to look out for with regards to hypo symptoms.

Gardening hypo's are by far the worst, I need so little insulin for a high-carb meal when I'm spending a morning or afternoon working in the garden, anyway hope you've recovered well by now.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wipes you out, doesn't it? I'm not on insulin, so this comment may not apply, but when I hypo, my BG levels stay 'fragile' for about three days.

So be kind to yourself?

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Wipes you out, doesn't it? I'm not on insulin, so this comment may not apply, but when I hypo, my BG levels stay 'fragile' for about three days.

So be kind to yourself?
Thank you Brunneria
I aim to do just that - this whole thing is like a helter skelter.
My BGs were 11.8 before evening meal but I feel that that is a rebound from ramming carbs down my gullet. Should settle by tomorrow, I hope.
All a learning curve.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always want to fall face first into a bucket of mashed potato.
Sometimes I think the hardest part of a hypo is resisting the carb fest after, even though I know that the quickest way for me to stop feeling so dire, is to eat to perfect low carbiness, instead...

Feel for you.