jam&marmalade

jobean

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Aubergines
Does anyone know what brand and where I can get low sugar jam and marmalade. I looked on the internet but some of them seemed to be full of carbs ???

I have been eating Waitrose's own low sugar products but they still seem to spike me massively

Thanks a zillion, Jo

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
What I don't understand about Diabetic jam, is what can you possibly spread it on?

It's like spreading slightly reduced carbs on top of more carbs.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If I have a oooo I need a sweet moment, I spread low sugar jam on a ryvita, hits the spot.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My pharmacy and the nearby Waitrose, both sell reduced sugar jams.I think LIDL has one too.
A sinle rice cake, or a slice of Nimble or Burgen bread won't hurt once in a while. How about a little jam in a pot of Natural whole-milk yogurt?
Hana
PS I make my own low sugar jam from frozen fruit. Easy to do and Iknow EXACTLY what is in it.
Hana

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Most "diabetic" products are a complete rip off and not worth the money. All you need do with any food is just look at the total carb content on the label to judge how good or bad it is. I would say anything that says its less than around 10g per 100g is worth considering and anything that's more, unless you are only going to eat the smallest amount, is suspect and should in most cases be avoided. Some people are stricter than me and would say 10 per 100 is too high. No one who does low carb properly should be telling you that regularly eating things with much more than 10 per 100 is ok. So at its simplest that's a very easy way to start low carbing. You don't need some idiot marketting department who knows nothing about T2 telling you what's safe and charging you extra for their ignorance.

Try sugar free peanut butter on Burgen Soya bread. The one I get is "Whole Earth" from Asda. The whole pot is only around 30g of carbs so the amount you need to put on your toast is minimal. A slice of Burgen is around 12g of carbs. I can manage one slice of that and it doesn't spike me. I find toast is better than plain bread and if you score the toast then spread real butter (rather than low fat marg) so it soaks in then do the peanut butter it works even better at keeping your BG's low.

Don't forget that as a T2 its carbs that count not low fat. I eat a low carb high fat diet and have a 5.3% HbA1c, really good normal cholesterol numbers and have lost over 3 stone in 4 months. My doc says I'm doing great and should continue eating the way I do.

Look at these links for ideas. They are the kind of diets low carbers should be following.

http://blogg.passagen.se/dahlqvistannika/?anchor=my_lowcarb_dietary_programe_in

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

jobean

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Aubergines
Thanks everyone for the ideas, just for info, I spread jam&marmalade on v low carb crackers for breakfast

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Xyzzy.I agree on the 'whole earth' peanut butter,a bit pricier but worth it and doesn't seem to spike me,also with you on 'Diabetic' products-My tesco's sells 'Franks Diabetic vanilla ice cream' no thrills,small tub,4 QUID!!! :shock: I'd rather make my own,cheaper AND tastier!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Montignac makes a jam like product from fruit, apple juice and pectin. He claims it has a very low GI (20). I can't find the carb count.
It should in theory be better than jam made from sugar and fruit but I haven't tried it (never have really eaten jam ).
I don't know if there is anything similar in the UK.
It is horrendously expensive, varieties vary but around £4 a jar, and then there's postage from France.

Grazer

I live reasonably near the wilkinsons jam factory at tiptree. They make the "little scarlet" jam made famous by james bond - "My conserve of choice"
They make and sell their own jams in the factory shop, and also a local jam called "Thursday cottage" handmade jam. It's labelled as diabetic, with "reduced sugar"
It's 38 grams per 100 carbs, compared to normal jam at 60 or so. Of the 38, 36 is sugar, of which all is fructose from the fruit (no added)
So, not perfect, but much better than the normal and spread thinly, or thick on a small bit of toasted burgen :thumbup: , not too much at all in total carbs.
Price about normal for quality jam
It's made at Trewlands farm, tiptrtee, phone no. 01621 814529 - perhaps they could send you some if you're interested.
Think I'm allowed to give that out, seeing as I'm not a shareholder!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
borofergie said:
What I don't understand about Diabetic jam, is what can you possibly spread it on?

Low carb bread?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
noblehead said:
borofergie said:

Low carb bread?

The only one that's any good is Burgen, and that's not exactly low-carb. I probably wouldn't want to spread sugar on top of it.

(Actually it's fairly academic, I don't eat anything derived from grains anymore).

C

chris lowe

I don't bother with diabetic jam or marmalade. I use ordinary spreads and measure out a level teaspoon to spread on a slice of toasted bergen. Also agree with the comments on Whole Earth peanut butter but have mine on bergen with Marmite - mmmmmm Also good for making chicken satay if you dilute with a bit of soy sauce and mix in some chicken strips. As with everything else a little bit once in a while probably won't do much harm.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
borofergie said:
noblehead said:
borofergie said:

Low carb bread?

The only one that's any good is Burgen, and that's not exactly low-carb. I probably wouldn't want to spread sugar on top of it.

(Actually it's fairly academic, I don't eat anything derived from grains anymore).

There was a time on the forum that all the low-carbers were baking their own versions of low-carb bread and swore it tasted no different to normal bread, the recipes might still be in the low-carb food section of the forum.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
chris lowe said:
I don't bother with diabetic jam or marmalade. I use ordinary spreads and measure out a level teaspoon to spread on a slice of toasted bergen. Also agree with the comments on Whole Earth peanut butter but have mine on bergen with Marmite - mmmmmm Also good for making chicken satay if you dilute with a bit of soy sauce and mix in some chicken strips. As with everything else a little bit once in a while probably won't do much harm.

I don't eat Jam or Marmalade but Marmite on toasted Burgen is wonderful! :D

Artichoke

I don't eat bread or crackers or rice cakes or Nimble or Burgen. No grains at all in fact. My tastebuds have really changed and I just wouldn't choose jam or marmalade anymore. I do miss Clement Faugier puree des marrons but I know I'd find even that too sweet now.

I do like Sumo unsalted organic peanut butter slathered on a couple of squares of Lindt Excellence 90% cocoa chocolate though :D

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to be order some jam and marmalade from Walden Farms this week. It's no carbs, no sugar, no calories, no nothing, I hope it it's not no taste. :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
chris lowe said:
I don't bother with diabetic jam or marmalade. I use ordinary spreads and measure out a level teaspoon to spread on a slice of toasted bergen.

+1

On the few occasions when I feel the need for a slice of toast for breckie I just toast some Burgen and have a thin spread of ordinary jam on it, jam may be high in carbs but when you are only eating a very small amount the carbs are minimal, certainly less than the bread even with Burgen. I did look at low sugar lams but reading the nutri info I soon discovered that they weren't much different to ordinary jam so the actual difference per teaspoon was negligible.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
BioHaZarD said:
I am going to be order some jam and marmalade from Walden Farms this week. It's no carbs, no sugar, no calories, no nothing, I hope it it's not no taste. :D
Check the label when it arrives. I strongly suspect that the calories/carbs etc will be per serving.
In the US products can be labelled per serving size (bet it's small) and if the calories per serving are less than 5 then they may be declared as 0.
What are insignificant amounts of nutrients?
Answer: These are the amounts that are permitted to be shown as zero on the Nutrition Facts label (e.g., less than 5 calories may be expressed as 0 calories)
http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplia ... smdiscrete

The product will undoubtedly be low cal/carb etc but I'm sure that if it had an EU label and the amounts had to be expressed per 100g ,they would not be nil.
Let me know if I'm right about it being per serving and how big that serving is.
I wonder what the UK laws are on imported goods, especially ones making nutrition claims.

WhitbyJet

I use up a fork and mash up fresh berries, add a little gelatine or xantham gum if berries are too runny. But if berries are nice and ripe, they go to a thick mush, perfect blueberry, raspberry or strawberry jam in an instant.
Fruitiest of the lot!! A fresh home baked low carb scone, clotted cream.........