Januvia really works for me!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on maximum dose Metformin and Gliclazide for 6 years or so and at my GP appointment last week my HBA1C was 7.7 up from 6.7 last time and my own BS readings showed my BS going anything up to 15 two hours after a meal. I expected and even suggested that I go on to insulin as I was having to be extremely careful with food quantities and carbs to maintain even 7.7 HBA1C. My GP said I should I should not be trying to eat 'abnormally' (or be using a meter!) and after a some 'discussion' we agreed I would go onto Sitagliptin (Januvia). My GP warned me to be careful of hypos. I wasn't too worried as Gliclazide had not really worked for me and what I read about Sitagliptin is that it is self-controlling and doesn't itself add to hypo risk as it stops working as BS reaches normal levels. Anyway my BS measurements over the last week show a dramatic drop in my BS levels e.g. 6 to 7 two hours after a meal and also 6 after a gym workout after a small breakfast showing hypos not being an issue. For me Januvia is amazing (so far) with no apparent side effects. Perhaps it won't last and as my Type 1.5'ish diabetes, my diagnosis, doesn't exhibit the typical Type 2 insulin resistant symptoms it may not work for others. Anyone else any experience of Januvia?

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
GP added JANUVIA 100mg
on top of my
Metformin 2000 mg
Gliclazide 240mg

Because I am having a few odd high BG readings 2hr+ meals I have been hitting 17 ish also odd 9+ before meals
Since Operation Dec my BG levels bit by bit are coming up both Met and Glit have been increased
Always had good BG control odd blip with other Meds and Operations
Diet is much the same always been lower ish Carb, Now smaller meals ,as less active in the wheels
finding it harder to keep weight level .(less active more glit)?
Gp has now placed me on JANUVIA on top of the other BG meds

Anyone else experience of Januvia good bad indifferent ?

Unbeliever

Januvia really worked on my spikes.

For he first 3 weeks or so I fell asleep about 10 minutes after taking it but that has settled now.
it also caused hypos because I was takibg 6md of glimepiride but I have reduced this and should be able to do without it compleely soon.

No more spikes! Almost immmediately too.

I have some reservations about long term effects but as I have macular oedema the short term effects concern my opthamologist more. Ironically the drop in my Bs has caused renewed retinal bleeding, Still the "threat" of insulin has now receded [and it was a threat} and I am on track o cut out the glimepirides which have caused weight gain.

I hope it works for you. well worth a try I think. I was told to go back IMMEDIATELY should i suffer ANY side effects but {cynical old me} I had a feeling that this could be related to cost {prescribed by the hospital and paid for by the doctor. I don't remember such concern ever being shown for other drugs!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the comments. I did have a headache during the night for 3 days but that has now gone. I suffered a light nose bleed today in addtion to a runny nose over the last week. Both the headache and runny nose are listed side-effects. I hope the nose bleed stays away as my BS readings continue to be a lot lower with Januvia. Two house after last night's Indian main meal I was only 6.8 which would normally have been 9+

Unbeliever

I totally forgot abou he headaches until I read your last post Daibell. I had them too but they disappeared quickly/ I do occasionally have what feels like he beginning of a headache but it always clears quickly.

I was a lile worried about he runny nose thing as i do suffer from hayfever but have not yet noticed any increased symptoms.
I hope that also clears quickly for you.

I am very pleased that the side effects seemed to disappear so quickly. It took 3 years for the unwelcome effects of metformin to subside.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
What time do you take yours ? GP told me i could take it same time each day that suited me
I am dropping mine at mid day lunch
Thats mainly because thats one time i take fewer tablets
50+tablets @day :?

so far so good

Thanks for the feed back doesn't look like there are many taking this ?

Bob

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I took Januvia once for a very short while. No side effects but I started putting on weight so I went back to the Metformin. No noticeable change in levels. At that time I also tried a short period without any medication at all. Also put on weight. I was trying to investigate whether Metformin gave me increased headaches (always had migraines) but I had them the same with Januvia and also without any medication so I concluded they were not increased by either medication.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently take my Januvia in the evening with my other diabetes tablets but I may move it to a few hours earlier? I've read on the web that Januvia has an active half-life of 12 hours and it's most active period is between 1 and 4 hours after taking it. That implies it's probably best taken an hour or two before the largest meal of the day? All the instructions on the web and from the GP is take it any time once a day but logic says it's best timed to suit the largest meal. BTW my nose bleed has stopped and no runny nose today so that's looking good and also no headache!

relgycandy

I hope it works for you. well worth a try I think. I was told to go back IMMEDIATELY should i suffer ANY side effects but {cynical old me} I had a feeling that this could be related to cost {prescribed by the hospital and paid for by the doctor. I don't remember such concern ever being shown for other drugs!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sitagliptin is quite expensive so isn't the first drug to be prescribed. Sadly it has now stopped working for me after almost 2 years. My pancreas has pretty well stopped producing insulin so I guess this drug can no longer extend the time of production for islet cells that don't produce anything anyway.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been taking it since last summer and it helped to lower me back down to 6.4 my best ever A1C. Interesting that it is at its most potent after about 4 hours, I wonder if I should shift to taking it at lunchtime then so it is working strongly for my evening meal?

Ali

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
My GP would not give me a straight answer when i asked him if this medication caused pancreatic cancer so there and then i told him no more

Stillo

dk12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
MEDICATION.
Just starting on Januvia today. Have to say I'm scared to death about taking more medication. I always have horrible side effects, My doctor is very understanding with me and knows my concerns, the hospital doctors, not so much. I hope this works for me without too much trouble I'm also on novomix insulin as well. It is quite worrying when reading the posts quite a few people have had trouble with them.

evelygtc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
non
GOOD MORNING!!
I have three quarter pancrease left.
Now 66 years old.
What am I? Type 1, 2 or ?
My GP classified me as Type 2
Have been diabetic for 7 years now.
May I ask - which medication is better - JANUVIA or TRAJENTA (LINAGLIPTIN)
I am now on 80 mg Gliclazide 15 minutes before breakfast and 15 minutes before dinner + 5 mg TRAJENTA.
My next visit to my GP will be in another 4 months time.
I will go HYPO if I forget to eat in between meals.
Is 80 mg Gliclazide twice a day too much?
Should I also reduce to 40 mg twice a day?
What are the side effects of TRAJENTA?

Annette100

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I developed telangiectasia on my feet, which my dermatologist attributed to Januvia. It's not normally on the symptoms list as it's quite rare, but I was taken off Januvia for this reason. The telangiectasia has never cleared up, and this was about 6 years ago.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been taking Januvia for about four years and no side effects.

If you are getting the side effects, do see your doctor.
There are other gliptins, other than Januvia!

Do you know how and why it works?