Japanese food for weight loss

Jennifer1008

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone tried eating Japanese food, particularly breakfasts on a regular basis in order to lose weight and improve health? I am starting to try out various soup - fish combos as the health record of the Japanese on old style diets is impressive for both health and longevity. Would be interested in knowing more.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess it depends how much rice and other carbs (noodles etc) are involved...

S

Shar67

Japanese eat a lot of rice but they also exercise a lot as well.
I had an exchange student live with me, she couldn't believe Tesco and the number of products available.
Don't be mistaken for americanised Japanese food and authentic Japanese.

Jennifer1008

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your answers. I understand that Miso soup is eaten regularly, at least daily, usually for breakfast. I am reading a book called 'Japanese women don't get old or fat' by Naomi Moriyama and William Doyle which suggests that the 'every-day' cooking of the Japanese could be a key to keeping to sensible eating. I follow a low carb diet in theory, but am finding it hard to stick to long term, perhaps the increased protein of the fish and tofu will be the key to not getting 'the munchies'!

S

Shar67

You've got to look at genetics as well, they have had a good diet for generations, where we have feast and famine generations.
Plus they exercise, and do lots of physical work, even those that have desk bound jobs make the effort to exercise daily and get out and about when not working.
Japan like China are now eating more red meat and as a result are getting taller and heavier.