1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Jardiance/empagliflozin

Discussion in 'Other Diabetic Medications' started by dookie, Feb 20, 2016.

1. dookie

dookie Type 2 · Member

Hi has anyone got any experience of this drug ?

2. dookie

dookie Type 2 · Member

Sorry jardiance dam spell checker

3. Maggie Meg

Maggie Meg Type 2 · Member

I just started it 2 days ago. It is is replace Lantus insulin. So far my glucose is super high. Not sure how long will it take to work. I experienced very bad hyperglycaemia. I am also on Glumatza metformin 1000 mg a day. What is your experience?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Type 2 · Member

I've just been prescribed this medicine and can't find reliable info on it

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. brirace

brirace · Newbie

Been on this drug for ten weeks now At first I was going to the toilet every 60 to 90 minutes when my blood sugars where very high they took about 4 weeks to bring my levels down and I am now averaging 7-10 and now can manage a few hours before going to the toilet. I have also found my urine gives of a very strong sweet like odour which seems to be worse during the night.
    I have now started to get pains in my right hand side and my skin as started to itch as if I am starting to get hives. I will carry on taking these tablets to see how things go and will let you know. The good thing about these tablets is I have lost about 9lbs

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

Hi Folks :). I took Dapagliflozin that belongs to the same group and is a simular Diabetic drug, and took it for a year. I lost 1 stone and 4 lbs and my HBA1C was reduced from 82 to 60 - But....... Suffered the side effects of Burning Urine and Thrush far too much that my Diabetologist stopped it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I took the canagliflozin. It took 3 months to settle in . I cried with the horrific thrush as I'd just got rid of 2 and a half yrs of it in pregnancy and therafter. Stress I feel kept mine going on and on. A stressful birth then stressful period with an ill husband with an unsettled baby in 2 house moves.
    Excellent bgs thou and lost 7lb which I regained on stopping because I had to increase insulin instead.

• Like Like x 1
  8. lyndawj

lyndawj Type 2 · Newbie

Well been taking it two weeks , seems to be ok bloods were 18.1 at the highest/ 12 the lowest but now the highest is 12 . Lowest 6 so fingers crossed. Seem to have lost 7 pounds in weight and my appetite seems to have lessoned because usually I'm always hungry .

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I hope it works out for you @lyndawj . please let me know?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

I am interested to hear how you get on with the drug too @lyndawj
    I began taking the Dapagliflozin again (belongs to same group of drugs as the one you are on) I went back on it in January this year after been off it for 10 months.

11. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

It hasnt weakened your back @Liam1955 has it?
    Its known for fractures and loss of bone density too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. AliceChatsworth

AliceChatsworth Carer · Active Member

Hi. My husband started this yesterday. After discussion with the diabetes nurse he started on 10mg in the morning instead of morning insulin, with the intention of keeping the evening insulin and monitoring bg levels. He is also on fairly low carb - around 50g. His BG dropped almost immediately from 12.5 ish to 10.2 ish in the same day. He wasn't able to have the night time insulin because of a dispensing problem but his sugars were about 9.2 which is lower than the insulin was doing anyway. Fasting BG today ,10.4 so we're hoping that will drop as his day passes. Really very hopeful for this. He was put on insulin whilst in hospital two/three weeks ago and since then gained all the weight/size he'd lost before hospital with low carb. He can't have insulin this evening again (small problem) and if numbers keep going down, we won't bother subsequently. Speaking to the nurse again at the end of the week and hoping that she will be pleasantly surprised. He's very thirsty but he is normally anyway. Maybe once his blood sugars are more normal and with him on low carb also this will be less of a problem?

• Like Like x 2
  13. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Just keep in mind this drug can show lower bgs but acidketosis can still occur. Have you got anything to measure his ketones on?
    I think this drug should come with a ketone meter. That's just my opinion.
    If his hyper symptoms don't relieve on the lower bgs get him checked for acidketosis. Insist!

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. AliceChatsworth

Thanks. I think his BG meter will check ketones but i will double check.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. AliceChatsworth

BG dropped to 7.6 now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Forgot to mention I've been using a crutch since taking mine and a solicitor was interested in a case against them as my mobility has never been the same. So be warned!

• Hug Hug x 1
  17. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

Thanks for that information @ickihun

I already had back problems (just undiagnosed) before I started the Dapagliflozin.
    Though now know after Bone Scan and MRI Scan I have Osteoarthritis and 2 Herniated Discs. But taking the Dapagliflozin does contribute to back pain unfortunately. :grumpy:

• Hug Hug x 1
  18. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Ouch!
    Scatica too like me then?
    Diagnosed with pinched S1 where spine joins pelvis. That's why both effected, most days.
    I'm hoping no arthritis but my whole family diagnosed early with osteoporosis, I don't mind being different, like only diabetic and none drinker of alcohol.
    Most would be diabetic if they didn't drink so much. Ha ha. Vodka drinkers lower their hba1c, I've heard.
    I should ditch my painkillers for vodka. Ha ha

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Only weakness in spine started after canagliflozin.
    Solicitors would have put a case together but I withdrew as I cannot sue the nhs. They need their money.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been on 10mg Jardiance since some time last autumn. The first many months were a thrushy nightmare, but that has stopped since going low carb. I've gained weight as well as lost weight while on Jardiance, so I don't assign anything weight related to the drug. Yes, my urine smells different. I don't know of any other side effects this drug has caused me, but I hope that they'll take me of it after my next appointment. After reading about all sorts of side effects in here, I do get the feeling that you can throw any drug at me without any short term negative consequences, though. I do consider myself lucky.
    My doctor increased the dose to 25mg/day at the end of March as an alternative to going on insulin, but the next day I went low carb, and had halved my BG about a week later. After another couple of weeks I went back to my old doses, and the BG kept creeping downwards, so I'm not really sure it has much of an effect on my readings. I'm certain that my diet does.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook