jeeez more foot problems

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Have spent the last hour or more trying to find out how to deal with this problem or even what it could be.

Under foot peeling skin....not painful (yet)

I do soak my feet almost daily in warm water with epsom salts and some lovely soap. They then get rinsed then carefully dried then moisturizer and into special socks always before bedtime. My feet get more care and attention than any other part of my body.

No problems between my toes no itchiness nothing.

I am well and truly sick of this but before I start pulling my hair out does anyone know what this could be as I really dont want to go to my doc.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Could you be overcaring for them? Soaking them in Epsom salts everyday may be making them dry!Try just washing them with soap and then creaming them for a couple of days see if that makes a difference.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thats a thought

Thanks Sue

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Sue could be right - I was told to have salt baths after an abscess operation - I did, until I realised the salt was irritating.

ChocFish

Hi, you should only soak your feet in Epsom salts once or twice a week, if you think you are short on magnesium take a supplement or eat more magnesium rich foods.

Dont use any soap for a while, but add a handful of icing sugar to your bath, it makes the water wonderfully soft and it is enough, you dont need soap, dont worry you wont start to smell - and then dab dry (not rubbing) and apply a good moisturiser, like body butter or neutrogeana.

All the best

Karen

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Can you absorb sugar through your skin,Karen? Just wondering about affect on blood sugar?

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I use a lovely foot cream from boots, its marshmallow and cucumber very cooling and soothing.

ChocFish

Mmmmm marshmallow and cucumber, I think I would want to eat it!

Do try the icing sugar though, it really does make the water feel very soft and leaves the skin soft as well, its very popular on the continent for bathing babies or anyone with skin complaints.

Karen x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Bernstein says not to soak feet as the skin masceratess and is open to infection. He even says to put vaseline on them to protect while swimming. He also says to treat with vegetable oils, not mineral oils.
What are you eating? My chronic dry skin is a lot better on my low carb, moderate fats diet. Fatty acids are essentialto skin health. I use a baby skin spray on my feet and take great care with socks and shoes.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I keep getting confused I was told and read on most websites and on google to soak my feet daily to keep checking them for any problems even my dn said to do this.

I will cut it down to 3 times a week and see what happens from there.

I will keep up with my cream as that makes me relax to have a good foot massage

lilibet

Hi
At first clinic appt I was told not to soak my feet - though to check them, moisturise them and avoid moisture between the toes.
Even if Im in a bath now I tend to dangle me feet out the side to avoid them getting too 'soaked'

Think all the suggestions are good and agree with the suggestion that salt is too harsh (just think what salt water does to your clothes., face, hair). Icing sugar idea would be too dangerous for me as Im sure I would find a sneaky way to get some into my mouth -dirty water and all. :D

Trinkwasser

cavelioness said:
I keep getting confused I was told and read on most websites and on google to soak my feet daily to keep checking them for any problems even my dn said to do this.

I'd get a second opinion on that, can you get to see a podiatrist? It's worth paying for an annual inspection and check for neuropathy (and mine stocks an excellent selection of shoes boots and socks)

Maybe some antifungal powder would be all you need, or a treatment with lamisil or similar.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Found out the problem with my feet ..........nylon in my socks these have now been binned and have bought some more cotton socks today. It was luckily only three pairs.

ChezMorgan

Dislikes
Peppers , Spiders, War and people who think they are better than me, we are all equal !
I am really glad you found the cause of your foot problem ( peeling ), but i wanted to add something as i have suffered from this myself and thought I should make people aware of another reason for foot skin peeling.

If you suffer from water retention or infection, ulcers or abscess's of the feet..... really anything that would make tour feet swell even slightly, then this can make the skin expand and die, thus causing peeling.

I visit a Diabetic High Risk Foot Clinic every week, my podiatrist is amazing ! She saved me from having my left foot amputated and prevented an operation on my left foot.

Soaking your feet in the bath , shower can be dangerous re Infections, if you have to soak your feet, it best to do it in a clean bowl, each foot separately so as to prevent cross contamination. I realize this might sound totally obsessive, but its the best advise i was ever given and it saved my feet !