Jelly Babies

Dollypops72

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
At the risk of starting a major discussion here, I have an ongoing 'fight' with my mother, who has Type 2 Diabetes, in that she say's it's perfectly fine to eat Jelly Babies. She gets the Waitrose own brand.
Her details: she is 81, 5ft3 (I think!) and she's obese (ie last time she exercised was in 1962 I think) and she's around 80kg.
Now in my view, they are full of sugar. She says they're fruit. She did stop eating them for a week once and said that her sugar levels didn't change so she's going back to eating them.
I would like to offer her an alternative as I've taken over the kitchen, which was another fight in itself, but that's another story...
Any suggestions re alternatives?
Many thanks

Reactions: 2 people

Scardoc

I use JB's to keep my BG levels up when running - 2.8g carbs each and 95% of that is sugar! Can't think of any alternatives of the same nature.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Does your mam just eat them as & when or does she eat them when her blood glucose levels are low, just checking your profile and it says she is using insulin.

JB's are no better than any other sweet that contains sugar, best avoided unless you need them to treat a hypo.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jelly Babies are fine as a sweet or as hypo resolve.............

but the question is, is she eating them all the time in her diet......?

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At the risk of starting a major discussion here, I have an ongoing 'fight' with my mother, who has Type 2 Diabetes, in that she say's it's perfectly fine to eat Jelly Babies. She gets the Waitrose own brand.
Her details: she is 81, 5ft3 (I think!) and she's obese (ie last time she exercised was in 1962 I think) and she's around 80kg.
Now in my view, they are full of sugar. She says they're fruit. She did stop eating them for a week once and said that her sugar levels didn't change so she's going back to eating them.
I would like to offer her an alternative as I've taken over the kitchen, which was another fight in itself, but that's another story...
Many thanks
Hi Dollipops. You are right in thinking they are full of suger and will raise her BS levels. I know because only last week I ate a whole bag just to see what would happen to my BS. Remember this was just a test:rolleyes:. 2 hrs after consuming them my BS level had gone from 5.2 - 10.5 but with careful eating the rest of the day, I soon got back to normal. As a rule some diabetics carry some J Babies around in case they have a Hypo and need to raise their BS levels quickly.
There are sites out there that produce "sugar free" sweets that may be an alternative.

PS I had to laugh when you said "she says they're fruit".:D The excuses we come up with to eat the things we really know we shouldn't.:D:happy:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You are right. T2s shouldn't be having jelly baby's or any sugary sweets other than by rare exception

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Jelly babies are my hypo treatment of choice. Not something to munch on if you have diabetes but I'm not sure you're going to find an alternative. I go for pork scratchings when I get the munchies but not the same sort of thing I know. Not forgetting that fruits are also sugar and best avoided for most diabetics. You could be looking at a complete diet change to improve your mum's bg levels, but to achieve that with someone of 81 years and a lifetime of doing it her way is a daunting prospect.

Scardoc

Hi Dollipops. You are right in thinking they are full of suger and will raise her BS levels. I know because only last week I ate a whole bag just to see what would happen to my BS. Remember this was just a test:rolleyes:. 2 hrs after consuming them my BS level had gone from 5.2 - 10.5 but with careful eating the rest of the day, I soon got back to normal. As a rule some diabetics carry some J Babies around in case they have a Hypo and need to raise their BS levels quickly.
There are sites out there that produce "sugar free" sweets that may be an alternative.

PS I had to laugh when you said "she says they're fruit".:D The excuses we come up with to eat the things we really know we shouldn't.:D:happy:

I know we are all different but I am astounded that a bag of JB's would only increase anyone's BG level by 5.3 over 2 hours. I find it takes about 20mins for one to kick in and it will raise my BG level by 3!! I think a bag would kill me.

Reactions: 5 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Try telling her that each JB is a spoonful of sugar and see if that has an impact.
If she thinks they are full of fruit perhaps read the ingredients out to her and or replace the JB with some fruit.

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know we are all different but I am astounded that a bag of JB's would only increase anyone's BG level by 5.3 over 2 hours. I find it takes about 20mins for one to kick in and it will raise my BG level by 3!! I think a bag would kill me.
At 3 hrs (before bed) I was down to 10.2 and the following morning 6.2. Then kept it steady all day.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Many thanks
You don't say what your mothers BG readings are. My mother is 85, in a nuursing home and officially a T2, she eats whatever she wants and I've looked through her MAR chart and her readings are all normal non DB readings. Don't ask me how this happens but it may be wrong to assume that just because she's eating JBs it is bad for her.
I keep JB's in the car and often eat one mid-commute to stay on the right side of the hypos.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Am guessing Dollypops72 that your mum just likes jelly babies and doesn't want to believe they're full of sugar. If you look in Amazon, there are plenty of sugar free sweets available but they may have a laxative effect.

Dollypops72

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you're right Pollylocks, she's in denial and it's not her fault that she's overweight etc etc etc... She eats them at night to sooth her throat she says...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with all the advice comments above.. They smell like toilet blocks to me.
Yer mum's excuse is "science fiction".. ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Showing her the ingredient list on the packet should conclusively disprove both of her theories.