Jeremy Clarkson donates £500 to Diabetes UK

ash

Is it wrong to see the funny side of this ? :D

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> BBC NEWS
Clarkson stung after bank prank
TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson has lost money after publishing his bank details in his newspaper column.

The Top Gear host revealed his account numbers after rubbishing the furore over the loss of 25 million people's personal details on two computer discs.

He wanted to prove the story was a fuss about nothing.

But Clarkson admitted he was "wrong" after he discovered a reader had used the details to create a £500 direct debit to the charity Diabetes UK.

"All you'll be able to do with them is put money into my account. Not take it out. Honestly, I've never known such a palaver about nothing," he told readers.

But he was proved wrong, as the 47-year-old wrote in his Sunday Times column.

"I opened my bank statement this morning to find out that someone has set up a direct debit which automatically takes £500 from my account," he said.

"The bank cannot find out who did this because of the Data Protection Act and they cannot stop it from happening again.

"I was wrong and I have been punished for my mistake."

Police were called in to search for the two discs, which contained the entire database of child benefit claimants and apparently got lost in the post in October 2007.

They were posted from HM Revenue and Customs offices in Tyne and Wear, but never turned up at their destination - the National Audit Office.

The loss, which led to an apology from Prime Minister Gordon Brown, created fears of identity fraud.

Clarkson now says of the case: "Contrary to what I said at the time, we must go after the idiots who lost the discs and stick *****tail sticks in their eyes until they beg for mercy."
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 174760.stm

Published: 2008/01/07 11:56:01 GMT

© BBC MMVIII
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Addy

Hi,
I don't think it's wrong to find this funny at all, i found the story highy amusing :D
Do you think he'll make another generous donation? lol

...falling is not the problem, it's when you land...

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
I thought it was very amusing, and also very clever. He asks for the money back and looks like a meanie, or he leaves DUK £500 better off and is lauded for his generosity. Makes you wonder if he set this up himself - for only £500 it's pretty good publicity!!!

jfairy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people who show no respect to people in wheel chairs
do not like him anyway ! serves him right !:)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Does this mean the police are looking for a diabetic fraudster? Oh well I suppose that narrows it down.........but not much!!!!:)

ash

Its also tax deductible - I think its fair to say it is cheap advertising. He is at the end of the day an entertainer(a very good one IMO), He slags every group off, no one is exempt from it. I don't read to much into what he writes, but look at its merits in terms of entertainment value !