Joslin Medalist Study / Update, 2010

Richard157

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rude members who tend to chase others away, trolls who pretend to be something they are not.
The Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston, USA, is a highly reputed center for diagnosis and treatment of diabetes. It is also well known for the research that is done there. The Medalist program there gives medals to Type 1 diabetics who have lived with their diabetes for 50 and 75 years. I received my 50 year medal in 2009, even though I have been type 1 for 64 years. I will be eligible for the 75 year medal in 11 more years. I know, first I will have to live that much longer! :)

There is an ongoing study of Joslin Medalists. One goal of the study is to determine why there is a significant number of type 1 diabetics who live a long time (50 years or more) and do not have any serious complications. If the factors are determined which have enabled these long term diabetics to live so long, and have good health, then there may be a treatment devised for younger type 1's that will help them to live long, healthy lives too!

I participated in the Joslin Medalist Study on Dec 1, 2009. More than 550 diabetics have been examined thus far. The Study is scheduled to end in April, 2011, at which time 750 participants are to have been examined.

The most recent update (2010) of this study is contained in the link below.

http://www.joslin.org/50_year_medalist_study.html