1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Joys of Metformin! (just starting today :) )

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by captainpixie, Jan 15, 2014.

1. captainpixie

captainpixie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I keep calling it it metaform in my head (sounds like a transformer doesn't it, hehe)

sooo, got the tablets today. I'm on 500mg, 3 times a day but i have to work up to that.

My lovely pharmacist (who is also one my closer friends) gave me some tip's. I was advised to start taking one of the little buggers at lunch time, but as i go to Uni Tue/Thurs he said don't do it, it won't end well lol. so he told me to start taking it with my evening meal first off.

so far I SEEM to be ok.

Thing is I'm on 20mg a day of solifenacin succinate as well and that stuff backs you up whereas Metformin makes everything loose.

I wonder if this means that I shall pass digested food normally now! would be nice ;P

2. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  3. captainpixie

captainpixie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

woke up this morning with a headache and feeling very nauseous, have eaten some porridge which settled it down, now it feels a bit like y tummy at the beginning stage of feeling like throwing up!

it's going to be an interesting month!

4. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't take it personally but I've heard stories about those early days. Apparently it does get better!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

5. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I hope it gets better for you, I personally had no problems when starting to take the tabs ...interesting thing is many seem to have problems ie tummy upsets etc....how diverse we all are ...

6. purplekat

purplekat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hopefully you're right, and the two different medications will mean your side effects aren't too bad. What I found when I started was that I had to cut out a lot of foods until things settled down - however these were all things I would have needed to cut down anyway (fizzy drinks, pizzas) so it helped with the initial getting used to going without.
    It took a good couple of months for me to get used to the doseage - I was going to approach the doctor about the slow-release one, but things started to settle down so I left it.
    I've had no other side effects from it, other than an increase in energy :)

7. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

Did you get the Slow release metformin, it's more gentle if you have tummy problems

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook