Juice detox

Elc1112

Hi all,

I know everybody is always looking for new ways to lose weight so I just thought I would share my experiences with you.

I decided to give the juice detox diet a go. In a nutshell, you live off juices and smoothies for the first three days. Hard, but it helps your body to detox. I felt starving and a little tired, but good apart from that. After that you have smoothies and/or juices for breakfast and lunch and healthy meals for dinner.

Anyway, I managed to lose 7 pounds in two weeks so it's definitely worked for me! Not a long-term plan and I don't think I could keep it up for longer than a few weeks. I felt really good eating all that fruit and veg and definitely have more energy now. I made sure I used low sugar/non startchy fruits and veg so I didn't get any spikes in my blood sugar.

I decided to give this diet a go as I have been unable to exercise for the last few week following surgery. I'm slowly getting back to exercise (just gentle for now) - can't wait until I can hit the gym again or get back on my bike!

Em

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good stuff Em, hope you manage to keep it off :)

Elc1112

Fingers crossed - I'm off to a wedding in a few weeks and need to be able to fit into the dress that I've spent this month's mortgage payment on lol. My weight is normally pretty stable and my BMI never fluctuates far from the 22-23 mark. A few weeks of being inactive have really taken their toll though! How I wish I could be one of those people who could eat what they want and not put on a pound. *sigh*

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Enjoy the wedding :thumbup:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I could never do a juice diet.It would send my Bg up out of my target range. I'm not quite sure what a de-tox is. As far as I learned, it's the function of the liver to break down toxins. Mine certainly does it well enough for me.
Hana

Elc1112

Hi hana,

My BGs have been fine. I'm type 1 so I can easily adjust my insulin to suit. It's definitely not a diet for everyone - if there was such a thing as a one size fits all diet life would be so much easier!

Detoxing is about getting rid of all junk that we tend to eat - processed food, salt etc. All those bad thing that, let's face it, often taste so **** good! It helps clear your digestive system and organs. For me it helps improve my skin and general well-being more than anything else and I really do notice a massive difference in my energy levels. There are a lot of people who argue that the body naturally detoxes itself - and it does, but only if you give it a chance to do so. Supermarkets are cram packed with over processed foods and so on. A detox is just a way of clearing some of this out the body. A bit like a spring clean lol.

Sugar level wise, I try and use low sugar fruits and veg wherever I can. Like me you probably find certain fruit and veg affects your BG more than others - I avoid them as much as I can.

Defren

Elc1112 said:
Hi hana,

My BGs have been fine. I'm type 1 so I can easily adjust my insulin to suit. It's definitely not a diet for everyone - if there was such a thing as a one size fits all diet life would be so much easier!

Detoxing is about getting rid of all junk that we tend to eat - processed food, salt etc. All those bad thing that, let's face it, often taste so **** good! It helps clear your digestive system and organs. For me it helps improve my skin and general well-being more than anything else and I really do notice a massive difference in my energy levels. There are a lot of people who argue that the body naturally detoxes itself - and it does, but only if you give it a chance to do so. Supermarkets are cram packed with over processed foods and so on. A detox is just a way of clearing some of this out the body. A bit like a spring clean lol.

Sugar level wise, I try and use low sugar fruits and veg wherever I can. Like me you probably find certain fruit and veg affects your BG more than others - I avoid them as much as I can.

I also couldn't do the fruit as anything not ending in 'berry' sends my BG skywards. I do like to detox and use acai berry and eat nothing but premium fresh veg, berry's, salad and small amounts of meat but plenty of very fresh fish. Like you I can feel the difference, it does allow the liver a chance to re-group if you will. Pre diabetes was different, and I would detox but with juicy fruits, oranges, melon things like that, but again with acai berry's. It really does make such a difference to your hair and skin, as well as your overall feeling of well being.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Its greens you juice not fruit, you juice celery, cucumber, kale, ginger. You drink 4 liters a day and dilute it.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I eat home cooked fresh foods and salads. I may not need to detox.
Hana

Defren

hanadr said:
I eat home cooked fresh foods and salads. I may not need to detox.
Hana

I tend to agree with you. If you have lots of fresh veg and salad, drink lots of water (I can't drink plain water, so have a low sugar concentrated squash and add a little) it does the trick. My hair and skin are in amazing condition at the moment, all due to really fresh foods (organic where possible) acai berry's and lots and lots of water.

Elc1112

Dawn - youcan juice fruit or veg, well most fruits anyway. It's not just greens - carrots, beetroot etc can all be juiced.

I'm ok with berries. Pineapple, grapes and bananas send my sugars up so I try and avoid them. The others don't have too big of an impact on me though.

Still, I could murder a huge bowl of pasta with garlic bread lol :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I know you can juice anything, its just that fruit tends to be a no no for most T2's. I juice or blend, when I blend I use avocado it makes great smoothies. Its just that when you google juicing its all about green juice, sorry if I came across as arrogant.

Melissandra

It’s not easy, but it should really work.

In addition to those juice days, I’d take Dr. Parell or something similar to produce a deeper body cleansing.