Juicing

baldtyke

Hi All

This is a question my girlfriend Andrene asked me to ask.

She is looking to start a juicing regime to try to get some healthy benefits. She was wondering if anyone on the forum had any views, experience or general thoughts on the whole juicing thing.

She got into this following the joe the juicer program about overwieght people with diabetes etc and she wants to give it a try but would appreciate any help.

Any help or info would be fantastic as she is really keen to give this a go.

Cheers

Tony

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect it would be a very bad idea for a diabetic. Juicing is effectively processing the food and will speed the release of glucose into the bloodstream. Just eat the fruit and veg without juicing and wash it down with water.

sparkyrich

Guess it depends on your particular reactions. I've done it for a fortnight and got on with it quite well. Joe makes the point that diabetics shouldn't just use fruit juices - way too spikey I guess. He recommends 80% veg/ 20% fruit and that's what I aimed for. Some of his recipes are, to be honest, absolutely vile. Some are pretty good - you'll have to try them and see which you like. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sagarg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

This is a question my girlfriend Andrene asked me to ask.

She is looking to start a juicing regime to try to get some healthy benefits. She was wondering if anyone on the forum had any views, experience or general thoughts on the whole juicing thing.

She got into this following the joe the juicer program about overwieght people with diabetes etc and she wants to give it a try but would appreciate any help.

Any help or info would be fantastic as she is really keen to give this a go.

Cheers

Tony

Hello,
Well in the juicing there are many kind of juices are available which has good nutritional value. For e.g. carrot juice can help to increase your eyesight power and bitter guard juice is finest detox for blood sugar level...

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just recently I've heard interview saying that juicing can be quite dangerous for prolonged periods if you don't know what you're doing. I think I'd want to do a bit of research on it before just jumping in at the deep end. Also there can be insulin spikes from juicing vs. eating the real whole food equivalent.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
I find drinking fruit juice has a similar effect on my BM as drinking Tate and Lyle's. Even carrot juice sends me into double figures!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Juicing extracts all the veg pulp, and with no fibre left, the fruit sugars dump into the blood scary-fast. You can slow things down by adding veg juices, but they tend to taste vile, as sparkyrich points out.

You can get ALL the benefits of juicing, plus lots of fibre and minimal impact on blood sugar levels by drinking green smoothies. Same ingredients as go into a juicer, usually a 60/40% veg/fruit mix + all the fibre, but all you taste is fruit.

This morning my smoothie was 1 apple, handful frozen cherries, handful frozen pineapple, slice lemon, 6 macadamia nuts, 1 courgette, 2 huge handfuls spinach + water.

It gave me 4-5 portions of veg (for breakfast!!!), omega 3 and 6, and pushed my blood sugar up by all of about 1 to 2 for a couple of hours. I was down to 6.2 by 11am.

Oh, and I didn't feel hungry for 4 hours.

Awesome. I simply cannot get over how wonderful these smoothies are. Used to live on them last summer, then shelved them during the winter, and I am back on them again with a vengeance! Why did I ever stop?