Jury duty - hypothetical question

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My colleague, who suffers with ME has been called for jury duty and he is concerned that fatigue might be a problem if called. This got me thinking about diabetes, particularly when insulin controlled, is it reason for exemption from jury duty. Obviously people should serve if well and capable; but if you are in a phase of poor control (like me) and yo-yoing between hypos and hypers (with fatigue), would this be accepted by the court? Just hypothetical.....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure of the answer tbh, but I'd imagine you would have to provide some evidence to back your case up, such as a letter from your Consultant or GP.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ha, ha not generally it doesn't! I tried to use diabetes as an excuse to escape jury duty a few weeks ago, just my luck but the clerk of court in the court I was in has type 1 too! He told me I would be fine and I would be able to take my paraphenalia into court and it should be no problem.
In the end they didn't need us but ...

Not sure if having poor control would help - maybe if you had a doctors letter ...

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was called for jury duty about 10-12 years back when I was suffering from severe iritis, and they delayed it until the next year - I don't remember having to give any proof. The second time I was suffering from long term and very serious cough (I'd end up coughing until I was sick), so I was concerned about this happening in court. I was told that they'd note my concerns and if i felt this was going to happen I could signal (I think it was) the clerk of the court - and he would stop proceedings until I was able to continue. Fortunately it never came to this, but I assume that some sort of exemption or similar arrangement would apply to any debilitating condition. Again I didn't actually have to supply a medical note but just told them on the day my name came up for actual duty (as opposed to being on call at the courthouse).

So if the occasion arises just contact them about your concerns when you get your letter calling you for duty, and they should sort things out with you one way or another.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people