Just about to start testing.

nualasdad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks.

At my annual review my Hbac1 was 54 ( up from 46). So the nurse has proscribed Metformin.

From reading this forum I am inclined to check my bloods myself, to achieve better control, but am not sure which kit to buy.

Are the meter kits six and half a dozen or is there a preferred brand most people use?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meters themselves can often be obtained free - it's the test strips that are a big expense. Many people here who have to fund their own testing use the Codefree brand because their test strips are very much cheaper than the others, which is a big consideration if you are going to do a fair bit of testing.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
The SD Codefree is a good buy, cheap to run and low running cost it will also link to a PC for data logging using a special cable although the software could be easier to setup and use.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
I use the SD Codefree meter because, as others have already said, the strips are cheaper than those for other meters. You can get a starter kit from Amazon (as I did) but I now get my supplies from Homehealth:

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

If you buy 5 boxes (250 strips) or 10 boxes (500 strips) there is a substantial discount.
The discount code for 5 boxes is 264086 and for 10 boxes is 975833