Just been diagnosed

Sallies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have only found out am type 2 diabetic 5 days ago, I had lost 3 stone last year before diagnosis and fell pregnant after 5 years of trying. Unfortunately we lost our baby around 11 weeks. Now am diabetic, am struggling to come to terms and blaming myself for losing our baby due to me possibly having diabetes during my pregnancy. I was going to be tested for pregnancy diabetes but when I miscarried I didn't proceed with the fasting bloods. Has anyone been though what am going though, I feel so low, crying and constantly blaming myself and wanting a reason for my failure. Is this normal??

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hey sallies,first please do not ever blame yourself for diabetes...the way the nhs diagnoses and treats is little short of scandalous...diabetes is primarily a disease of the nerves and creeps up on us til we are hooked.
Bear in mind that diabetes can and does affect our state of mind causing depression , if you had a broken leg it's obvious and people give sympathy ,but diabetes is a silent invisible condition that many people even physicians don't fully understand
I am sure wiser heads on here will be along to help you find the proper help and advice you so obviously need
So ...well done you on taking the first steps to getting better( hugs) clive

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sallies, understandably you will blame yourself as anyone does when they lose a baby, I was in your position this time last year but please don't beat yourself up, as Blasè as it sounds sometimes these things just happen and are completely out of our control.
How are you managing your diabetes?
There are many ladies on the forum that have had successful pregnancies with diabetes so don't think now you've been diagnosed it won't happen, it just takes work so start by looking after yourself and your diabetes

Abbie Xx

Reactions: 8 people

Sallies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey sallies,first please do not ever blame yourself for diabetes...the way the nhs diagnoses and treats is little short of scandalous...diabetes is primarily a disease of the nerves and creeps up on us til we are hooked.
Bear in mind that diabetes can and does affect our state of mind causing depression , if you had a broken leg it's obvious and people give sympathy ,but diabetes is a silent invisible condition that many people even physicians don't fully understand
I am sure wiser heads on here will be along to help you find the proper help and advice you so obviously need
So ...well done you on taking the first steps to getting better( hugs) clive
Thank you, I was already down prior to being diagnosed but getting on with it, but since being diagnosed I feel worst. Thank you once again

Sallies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Sallies, understandably you will blame yourself as anyone does when they lose a baby, I was in your position this time last year but please don't beat yourself up, as Blasè as it sounds sometimes these things just happen and are completely out of our control.
How are you managing your diabetes?
There are many ladies on the forum that have had successful pregnancies with diabetes so don't think now you've been diagnosed it won't happen, it just takes work so start by looking after yourself and your diabetes

Abbie Xx
My highest reading since I started last Thursday has been 11.5 and my lowest 7.1. I feel so low but thank you for you kind words.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thank you, I was already down prior to being diagnosed but getting on with it, but since being diagnosed I feel worst. Thank you once again
I cannot imagine how you must be feeling...but please know that this is not of your choice or making,i wish i knew where to point you for the best help, please ask your gp for referrals to diabetes consultant,as most gp's do not know how to treat diabetes.clive

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I will ask. @daisy1 to provide you with the info pack for new posters,have a good read,and come back with any questions.

Reactions: 4 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Welcome to the forum ...you are not alone :);)

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Sallies welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage, I lost my 2nd pregnancy and it was difficult enough, I can't imagine how I would have coped if it had happened with my first. At least I had my oldest to keep me going. Please remember that 1 in 4 pregnancies don't make it, and that it is NOT your fault. Have you read this thread: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dont-involve-yourself-in-the-blame-game.21894/

Please keep posting and talk about how you're feeling, we are all here to help and support you xx

v4victory

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes Support posted an image on Facebook today that had the words: "Be gentle on yourself, you're doing the best you can."
An encouraging and timely word , especially after another discouraging fbg reading this morning.
I hope it lifts someone else today.