Just been to the dentist

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Anyone else really hate the dentist? :(

Ah well, that's it for 6 months again. Phew!

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fencer said:
Anyone else really hate the dentist? :(

Ah well, that's it for 6 months again. Phew!

Yes I do! Especially bad when your dentist doesnt speak English!

sue@ssh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, i am dental phobic. Been last week as missing filling forced me. Half an hour of torture! Now that wasnt so bad, was it? I was asked ..... think I did well not turning the air blue. I was still shaking.

Next visit? When I cant stand the toothache any more and not a minute before!

Has anyone else noticed various sites stating bad dental hygiene can raise your BS levels? Right - now I know why my control is shaky ..... :p

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
sue@ssh said:
Yes, i am dental phobic. Been last week as missing filling forced me. Half an hour of torture! Now that wasnt so bad, was it? I was asked ..... think I did well not turning the air blue. I was still shaking.

Next visit? When I cant stand the toothache any more and not a minute before!

Has anyone else noticed various sites stating bad dental hygiene can raise your BS levels? Right - now I know why my control is shaky ..... :p
Half an hour? You're lucky. I felt like I had Jenson Button's garage team in my mouth.

OpendrillscrapespitGO!

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Rather than risk the NHS for my dentistry, I choose to go privately under a maintenance contract where I pay a fixed monthly fee and he does everything necessary for myself and my wife to keep out teeth in good working order. The only thing not covered is any false teeth needed following a necessary extraction(s).
I find our arrangement is an excellent agreement and if an emergency should occur he will get to grips that day inc weekends, or if away from home his insurance will cover what we need AND find us a suitable dental surgeon... :thumbup:
Our dentist is one of the best I have found and I will stick with him while we live within striking distance ..at the moment he is only 1&1/2 miles away 8)

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Hobs said:
Rather than risk the NHS for my dentistry, I choose to go privately under a maintenance contract where I pay a fixed monthly fee and he does everything necessary for myself and my wife to keep out teeth in good working order. The only thing not covered is any false teeth needed following a necessary extraction(s).
I find our arrangement is an excellent agreement and if an emergency should occur he will get to grips that day inc weekends, or if away from home his insurance will cover what we need AND find us a suitable dental surgeon... :thumbup:
Our dentist is one of the best I have found and I will stick with him while we live within striking distance ..at the moment he is only 1&1/2 miles away 8)
Yeah, but these schemes are too expensive when compared to the NHS costs up here. My checkups and work this past few year have averaged about £50 per year.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Hmmmm ... yes, you only get what you pay for in this life, and with my private arrangement my 4 monthly check-ups usually include preventive treatment and instant on-screen x-ray for the two root canals I have, to ensure decay is not taking place below the gum as the teeth do not contain the nerve that would normally alert me to a problem.
Not only would I not get 4 monthly checks from a NHS dentist, I doubt if he would perform preventative work or x-ray my nerveless teeth.
My teeth are worth looking after to the best possible standards, and if that means paying, then I willingly pay.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Hobs said:
Hmmmm ... yes, you only get what you pay for in this life, and with my private arrangement my 4 monthly check-ups usually include preventive treatment and instant on-screen x-ray for the two root canals I have, to ensure decay is not taking place below the gum as the teeth do not contain the nerve that would normally alert me to a problem.
Not only would I not get 4 monthly checks from a NHS dentist, I doubt if he would perform preventative work or x-ray my nerveless teeth.
My teeth are worth looking after to the best possible standards, and if that means paying, then I willingly pay.
Yeah, it's probably a very good choice to make. My problem with the scheme was the cost of getting my teeth to a state where they would actually take me on.

I get 6 monthly checkups, so one less per year than you do. The last one I had I got X-rays. They charged me £3 for them too... the cheek! lol Today I was offered a white filling instead of an NHS filling. I asked the difference in price - £88 for the white filling, less than £20 for the NHS one. I knew straight away where the value was! lol

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I am with an NHS dentist. I have a check-up, with X-rays, every 6 months. What little cost there is, is covered by a certificate which gives me help with all/any health costs because of my low income.

Application forms are available from most HCPs, and they last a year.

I looked into the scheme my previous dentist was offering when he went private, and all it seemed to work out at was, I was to pay £120 a year for one check-up. Everything else, including scale & polish, was extra :shock:

Viv 8)

Helenababe

I've just managed to get an English dentist, after years of others turning me down. I've had to be put on a waiting list though, but I was told I should get an appointment in a few weeks.

I'm under NHS but the work I will need doing will come to £204!

Helena

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Helenababe said:
I've just managed to get an English dentist, after years of others turning me down. I've had to be put on a waiting list though, but I was told I should get an appointment in a few weeks.

I'm under NHS but the work I will need doing will come to £204!

Helena
Yeah, I believe the cost of even NHS treatment south of the border can become quite expensive. I was £23.64 for a scale and polish and a filling the other day. In England it's £47 just for a filling I believe.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I go to the dental hygienist every six months and hate it as it really hurts especially when she uses the ultra-sonic. She takes X-rays every year so I don't need to see the dentist unless there is something to be done which hasn't happened for a while. I always dread going :evil: I have to pay to be tortured too :think: The insurance pays out so little it's not worth it.