Just been told I need to start using insulin. What should I expect?

bearMedicine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dieting :)
I'm still a bit shocked and sad because this feels like a one-way door with no way back. :( I'm also a bit scared about what this will mean. :nailbiting:

I'm currently on an injectable (Victoza). How is this going to affect my life?

Grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As you are already on Victoza, having to inject insulin may not be a big change? Can I assume you may have excess weight as you are on Victoza? If so, are you on a low-carb diet? Having a good BMI should avoid the need for Victoza and enable the insulin to be kept low which helps avoid blood sugar swings etc

bearMedicine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. As you are already on Victoza, having to inject insulin may not be a big change? Can I assume you may have excess weight as you are on Victoza? If so, are you on a low-carb diet? Having a good BMI should avoid the need for Victoza and enable the insulin to be kept low which helps avoid blood sugar swings etc
Hi Diabell. Yes excess weight (BMI around 40) and on a low carb diet so from that perspective things won't change much, but I'm hooping it will help me to lose weight as well? What have you found from that perspective? I see your BMI is pretty healthy :)

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was started on basal insulin mid July and wow what a difference it has made. All of my BS reads were over 12 sometimes 20+. Now providing I watch the carbs all of my readings come in under 10 - although still on the high side dropping nicely. No side effects which was great as the vitoza made me so ill that I ended up in A%E

Reactions: 2 people

bearMedicine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was started on basal insulin mid July and wow what a difference it has made. All of my BS reads were over 12 sometimes 20+. Now providing I watch the carbs all of my readings come in under 10 - although still on the high side dropping nicely. No side effects which was great as the vitoza made me so ill that I ended up in A%E
Thanks for that positive story of your own experience! I have not really tolerated the Victoza very well myself - nausea, cramping, diarrhoea etc.

bearMedicine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've been on insulin (Isulatard 10 units) since Saturday. I'm a bit worried as my BG readings seem to be going up not down! I am due to increase to 12 units tomorrow.

Should I be concerned?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've been on insulin (Isulatard 10 units) since Saturday. I'm a bit worried as my BG readings seem to be going up not down! I am due to increase to 12 units tomorrow.

Should I be concerned?

Keep in contact with your diabetes team and go with what they say based on your bg readings, the 10 units would have been a base on which to start with so an increase will be likely to happen.

Reactions: 4 people