Just come back from my first visit to diabetes nurse

Finzi

Very good appointment on the whole. She told me lots of stuff that I already know, about what Hba1c is etc, and I just let her because I didn't want to sound like a know it all! :)

Told her I was low carbing and showed her my blood sugar results from 18 jan onwards, and she was impressed and said it was a very good start (numbers pretty much all in the fives and sixes now, an occasional low seven if I've eaten something dodgy!). I said I was happy to go up from one Metformin to two and she gave me a prescription. She was very keen on me being on statins, something I've avoided so far because I want to see if the numbers improve on their own with low carbing and hopefully ever reducing blood sugars. But she was happy to wait for a while and see. My total cholesterol is 6.3 with trigs of 2.7 and HDL of 1.0 so not great. But I want to give diet and Benecol a chance first.

She had no problem with low carbing and said she'd done it herself to lose five stone. She said that testing was very useful in the early stages til you see what foods affect your BG, and to do it pre each meal and then 2 hours after each meal, and I chipped in and said that I'd had to ration my testing because I'd only been prescribed 50 strips, so she gave me a prescription for another 50. And then after the appointment when I picked up my repeat prescription request that I'd put in a few days before, the doctor had also prescribed another 50! So he's prescribed me 50 x 2 since I got my meter on 18 Jan and a further 50 from the nurse, so I feel very lucky.

She checked my feet which were fine, I've got my retinopathy screening next month, and I am having a repeat hba1c in three months (although we decided to actually make it two months, because I'm going on holiday to Italy end of march, and if I waited til I got back it might be an unfair result lol. So I'm getting it done just before I go. )

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Congratulations Finzi, always good to read positive threads. And your care team seem to be right on your side :clap:

I have heard many good reports on Benecol helping to lower cholesterol, so good luck with that.

Finzi

Thanks Sid! Yes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Benecol. It's not that I'm 100% against statins but it just seems like if high blood sugars can raise trigs and LDL, then it only seems fair to see what they do when the blood sugars go down. My diagnosis Hba1c suggested average blood sugars of 11mmol, and goodness knows how long they'd been like that, cos I didn't have any symptoms (my auto correct wanted to change "symptoms" to "soupy motors" lol. That might describe quite well how some of us feel sometimes!). My test was done as a routine check cos I have PCOS. but that was the first time I'd ever had it done.

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi Finzi,
sounds like you have a great team of medical professionals.. can you please clone them, or at least let us know where you live so we can all move there!! :lol:
Looks like you will be looked after and supported properly...
Congrats and let us know how things go in the future! :thumbup:

Finzi

I live in the West Midlands. And yes, I appreciate them very much. If I could clone them for you I would :). It can be a tough enough diagnosis without battling HCP's as well

delphi

Hello. Read your note with interest. Still learning so please don't mind me asking why you were ok taking more metformin if your blood sugar looks to be falling through diet ?

Finzi

Don't mind you asking at all. To me, Metformin seems an all round good drug, because it reduces appetite, reduces gluconeogenesis, and also has cardiovascular protective properties. I have had not the slightest problem with it, so far anyway, and am very keen to get my blood sugar levels as low as possible. I don't think I could cut down on carbs much more (I'm VLC - between 25-50g per day, and it's very hard to get much lower than that without cutting out vegetables as well, which I wouldn't be happy to do). So I'm willing to take all the help I can get :)

What I would be extremely unhappy to do is take medicine that caused weight gain, and I would have a very very hard time accepting that. Metformin I have no problem with.