Just Diagnosed Teenager with Type 1

Debs D

Hi im a mum of a 13 year old teenager who has just been Diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes, We only came home from hospital yesterday and we are still struggling with high sugar levels and a huge appetite, He is a fussy eater and im finding it hard to know what snacks to give him in between meals that will not put his sugar levels any higher, he is injecting at least 4 times a day, 6 units am/lunch/tea some times with added units as his sugars are still between 15 and 24 most of the time and 13 units at bed time of a slower acting insulin. Any suggestions would be most grateful

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Injecting 4 times a day is a standard regime, they will have started your son on a conservative dose of insulin and will increase it to what it needs to be.

Do you have the phone number of the diabetes team at the hospital? Don't hesitate to ring them to discuss any questions you have.

Mini-Mimi

my daughter is 3 and was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago now, so i am still very new to it all too, i found the youth forum on this site to be very helpfull, maybe pop in there and post x

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it hasnt been mentioned to you already it is definitely worthwhile trying to see if you can get onto a DAFNE course.

A few weeks after I was diagnosed my wife sent me this link: http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

I found it very useful and it set me on the path of carb counting etc and once I got used to it all I have actually been pretty good and it has allowed me to continue to lead a more or less normal life. The "less" part is more that I have to think ahead and remember to pick up pens, needles, testers and some glucose tablets but otherwise you wouldnt know.

Snacks and treat I have moved more to the meaty things like peperami or biltong (like jerky but no sugar so almost no carb) but again in moderation since you get stung by fat in those.

With carbolicious treats it becomes a question of "just how much do I want this?" if the answer is lots then I add an extra shot.

In many ways Diabetes has actually been a good thing because I eat much healthier than I ever did before.

Good luck to you and your lad, this is a great place for information so welcome aboard :)

/A

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi Debs D,

Sorry to hear about you've had a new member join your family [diabetes]. After a while it does just become a part of life but initially it is most unwelcome and disruptive.

13 isn't a very nice age to be diagnosed. I hope your child is coping. Don't worry about the high figures at this stage. It is better to reduce levels over a period of time rather than suddenly. It is also important that he doesn't get feelings of guilt because his levels aren't perfect. Try not to have a shocked face when the meter reads something in the 20's or panic when you one day see it saying 2.

As for things to eat you could try chicken wings, egg based foods, cheese dips & carrot, sugar free jelly with yogurt or some cherios type snacks. Meals should be just normal but count the carbs so you can work out how much insulin to give. My son has been diabetic for a while so he can usually have a pikelet, a few chips and fruits at snack time but I wouldn't pick these if he was high.

Kids are kids first and diabetic second. I don't deny my son any food he wants but I'll limit the quantity if it is outside meal times. I just think it is important not to say 'No' if that wouldn't be the answer without diabetes.

The food section has lots of recipes but you shouldn't have to make massive adjustment to diet unless he had a really sugary one prior to diagnosis. Softdrink really needs to be the sugar free type and juice is hard to manage unless you want to use it to treat a hypo.

Wishing you well and hope you still allow a little indulgence for Christmas.

Debs D

Hi all, Thanks for the tips, My sons handling things quiet well considering its early days,
Its me that nervous 4 him, Im no stranger to Diabetes as my dad had it when i was a kid but its all changed since then, MY dad injected twice a day and that was that, now i have to guess how much extra insulin to give him and when to help bring down his levels, Im worried i will give him to much and he will go hypo, But i guess its just trial and error right now, Im not being to hard on him regarding what he can eat [except 4 Chocolate and sweets], And we all will have a great christmas as we came so close to losing him, he became sick so fast even the hospital said he was a very lucky lad, And yes the hospital have given me loads of numbers to call if i need too, They have been wonderful, Thanks again 4 the advice.