Just diagnosed with Type 1

Oscar1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I'm new to diabetes and, its been a struggle since I was diagnosed with diabetes.
My blood sugars high a lot and having all these appointments to go to is a struggle. I sometimes forget to do my blood tests and weighing out food is hard work.

I feel emotional at times, sometimes not even caring if I died from my diabetes. I just want someone to understand how I feel.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi,
I'm new to diabetes and, its been a struggle since I was diagnosed with diabetes.
My blood sugars high a lot and having all these appointments to go to is a struggle. I sometimes forget to do my blood tests and weighing out food is hard work.

I feel emotional at times, sometimes not even caring if I died from my diabetes. I just want someone to understand how I feel.
Hi @Oscar1996 , welcome to the forums. Everyone here understands how you feel and we've all been through it. You could always try looking for a diabetes support group in your area to interact with real people.

It can take a while for blood sugars to stabilise after diagnosis but it will sort itself out. Diabetes can get you down but focus on the longer term and where you want to get to, don't worry too much about tomorrow.

You can put a positive spin on things, remember that all your appointments are happening to keep you healthy.

Annietw1493

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Oscar.
Sorry to hear you are having a tough time with your diabetes. Im sure we all understand how you are feeling.
Diabetes can be very tough especially to begin with. It requires a bit of patience sometimes it doesn't sort it's self out over night.
I agree with urbanracer finding a support group and especially with people who are similar age can really help. Taking to people is amazing. Maybe even if it is a good friend who can just listen.
Also make the most of your diabetic team especially your DSN they are usually amazing.

Take it one day at a time but you will get there. There will be highs and lows. Bad days and good. But at the end of it don't forget to live your life and do what you want and make your diabetes fit you.

If you want to ask any questions this forum is amazing and everyone wants to help.

Good luck. Xx

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You don't need to weigh your food most of the time. Look at the ingredients on the packet or if doing your own cooking, weigh or estimate. With insulin a lot of the time you need to guesstimate the carbs but over time your guesses become more accurate. Use the meter if in doubt afterwards to learn and avoid a hypo. Although it is a shock at first you will find with experience it will become much easier. Can I assume you are on Basal/Bolus regime and carb-counting to adjust the dose for each meal?