just found out

vicky ball

hi have just found out i have got type two just waiting to have a meeting with doc to help get it sorted on tablets at mo and got to sort diet out also got high bp bit scary but will get there. :|

C

catherinecherub

Hi vicky and welcome to the forum.

It is a very scarey time and we can all empathise with you. Have a good read around the forum and then come back and ask as many questions as you like. Nothing is considered silly and the more information you have then the better it will be for you to manage your diabetes,
Hope this helps,
Catherine.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Vicky and welcome to the forum.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi and welcome.
When your doc has talked to you about diet, come back here and check out what people in control of this actually do eat.

Dipstick

HI there, don't be scared. Just read as much as you can about things, keep the carbs as low as you can because these elevate the sugars quickly and keep smiling. I have had type 11 for about ten years now. Losing weight has helped me. Take it easy. :)

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Hi,
Firstly may I offer a warm welcome.

We have all been where you are right now. The one thing everyone will tell you is DONT PANIC.
When I was told i found this site and to be honest I dont know where I would be without the people hear.
You will find people on this site friendly and informitive, these people live with it themselves so they realy do know whats what.

You will have lots of questions, well ask away, one thing , what works for one might not work for you so its trial and error.
Remember NO food is off limmits.

Graham 1441 :wink:

vicky ball

thanks

thanks for all your friendly welcomes off to see nurse tomorrow, must admit since being on tablets i feel better not so tired and the thirst has eased.

skotish

hi vicky and welcome

i just found out 3 weeks ago i am type 1 still taking it all in but it quickly sinks in and it ain,t as scary as you think use these boards and u will be fine :wink:

Hewson49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Vicky, I have known about my type 2 diabetes since just before Christmas and am still floundering on my diet, am on my own a lot of the time and just cannot be bothered with what I should eat. Anyone any suggestions for easy healthy eating for 1. :lol:

lambros6

Hi Vicky.

I agree with most posts you`ve recieved and I think you`ll have noticed food is mentioned a hell of a lot.
I am now on a pump because my Diabetes was quite severe.
With the miracle of this pump i`m wearing ( after three months ) i now have a steady 5-7 .
Before that , i was having up to 10 hypo`s a week and as high as 28 , 6 or 7 times a week .
Checking carbo-hydrates is really a must..........and excersise .
Take care.
Terry.

paulwareing

Hi,

I am recently diagnosed as type 2. I am due a blood test again in May and am trying to control it via diet.

I am using Stevia as a sweetener and I have cut out:
- Fruit juice (even Apple) and just drink Tea and Water.
- all Bread except Rye
- Rice, Pasta and Potato based food except boiled Potato and Jacket
- cooked carrots, but I eat raw carrot and cooked green non root vegtables
- cereal, except porridge (with stevia, used to have honey but not now) I do have shedded wheat as a treat.
- all ready meals and processed foods.
- all sweets and chocolate based foods.

I check on all foods I buy and for example have found a brand of baked beans without sugar in. I am shocked at the things that have added sugar (like pickles?).

I am aiming to lose 2 stone. I am 14 stone (5' 10" in height) with a spare tyre (I am 50 years old) and I want to be 12 stone and slimmer.

I have a gym set up in my garage and I do an hour each week day that includes running. I am gradully increasing my distance in running and exercise, but being careful not to give myself a heart attack in the effort! The key is to get puffed out and exhert myself, but not over do it.

I am thinking of putting together a retail operation for other diabetics and working out a service to advise and provide cost effective solutions. Diabetes is time consuming and inconvenient - we need a one stop solution!

Do comment on my emerging philosophy and your own thoughts on the way forward.

I am treating my diagnosis as an opportunity to improve my general health and make sure I get fitter and do not weaken due to it.

Regards

Paul Wareing