Just got a sensor, great but a full time occupation

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Hi, Ive just purchased a Medtronic transmitter and sensors for a month, no cheap price at about £600. Whilst the technology is great so you can track where you are at every minute of every day, I now feel like Im a diabetes 24 /7 every single day and that appears to be my only topic of conversation. Whilst its at the forefront of my feelings every day I appreciate its not the same for my family/husband etc. Is there a way to chill out using a sensor and to not worry too much about what its telling you. At this rate I wont have time to go to work but to be a full time diabetic, not mine nor anyone else choice! Any advice welcome, thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi, Ive just purchased a Medtronic transmitter and sensors for a month, no cheap price at about £600. Whilst the technology is great so you can track where you are at every minute of every day, I now feel like Im a diabetes 24 /7 every single day and that appears to be my only topic of conversation. Whilst its at the forefront of my feelings every day I appreciate its not the same for my family/husband etc. Is there a way to chill out using a sensor and to not worry too much about what its telling you. At this rate I wont have time to go to work but to be a full time diabetic, not mine nor anyone else choice! Any advice welcome, thanks
The novelty of the sensor will wear off after a week then it's just a case of remembering to test before you bolus for meals :)

Reactions: 2 people

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
I am so relieved to here this ... its taking its toll rather on all of us!

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I agree with carbsrok. After a bit you will get tired to check every minute your trend. What is great is, anyway, that you will get alarms if your bg will go above your max threshold or below your min. One important point: don't calibrate when your bg is rapidly changing.

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Stefano, a good tip on the calibration thing. Glad I have the sensor I must be honest, but am just hoping that levels sort themselves out soon rather than the two/three hypos a day scenario right now. At least I now get warning when Im going low.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sally

I've used CGM for 3 years now and can confirm the initial fixation with it does wear off and normal life does get a look in.

I didn't want to eat at the start for fear of disrupting the lovely flat line I had on my pump and was checking constantly to see if my glucose was rising or falling. It is a fascinating piece of technology that fills in the missing pieces. Non diabetics just don't seem to share the fascination, I can't imagine why ever not!! ;) I check it when I am doing boluses, doing anything energetic and obviously when calibrating plus a fair few glances throughout the day. Other than that I tend to rely on the alarms to tell me if I am going hypo or hyper. I hope it helps you out and that you start to forget it is there.

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ha, ha - I have to laugh at your initial sentiments about how non-diabetics just dont seem to see the fascination as I do. So great to hear its not just me :) Thanks for your post, I am smiling as I post his I am about to drive off to where I work, and know that If Im too low on the drive it will tell me, great to have reassurance.