Just had 1st visit to Diabetic nurse

GerryOB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I had my first appointment with the diabetic nurse today. She was running late and I felt it was all a bit hurried. She said before I left, she would give me some information on what is good or bad to eat and I was looking forward to reading that, as I don't have a clue. She forgot to give it to me in her haste to get on with the next patient.

I guess I am lucky that she did give me a blood glucose monitor and also done a prescription for test strips and a sharps bin. The only info I can remember from our conversation was that things like bread, cakes, biscuits, sweets etc are out, along with making sure I don't have too much pasta. Apparently I also need to watch certain fruits as they are high in sugar. She said no more than 5 grapes at a time. The other thing she said was that because of my disability and not being able to exercise, that I was better off having five or six small meals a day than three I don't actually have three. I have a diet milkshake for breakfast, and then small snacks and dinner in the evening. I know I have to cut out certain things from my snacks, but can anyone tell me what snacks are ok to eat for someone with Type 2 Diabetes please?

I need to clear out my snack cupboard and re-stock with healthier things.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome, it's such a shame that the medical profession rush patients nowadays :( but hopefully some other type 2's will be along with some helpful advice.

Best wishes RRB :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. It sounds like your DN was offering some sensible diet advice hurried though it was. So often NHS diet advice is seriously bad. Yes, keep all carbs down and have low-GI ones when you can. By having low-GI it smooths the absorption making it less necessary to have lots of small meals. Yes, avoid tropical fruits particularly bananas etc. Snacks are best avoided, but nuts are fine as are berries and pieces of cheese

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a shame that you felt she rushed through your appointment. On the other hand, if you are anything like me (and I am sure I speak for many on here), you are far too bemused by the information all to take much in to start with. At least you have been given a meter. As a T2 that is quite rare and allows you to start taking control immediately. Now start reading the information and personal stories of all of these people you share this condition with. We all started off confused and disappointed and most of us have learnt that improvements can be made surprisingly easily. Your nurse also seems quite switched on as regards carbohydrate control. That can only be a good thing.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Last edited by a moderator:

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I had my first appointment with the diabetic nurse today. She was running late and I felt it was all a bit hurried. She said before I left, she would give me some information on what is good or bad to eat and I was looking forward to reading that, as I don't have a clue. She forgot to give it to me in her haste to get on with the next patient.

I guess I am lucky that she did give me a blood glucose monitor and also done a prescription for test strips and a sharps bin. The only info I can remember from our conversation was that things like bread, cakes, biscuits, sweets etc are out, along with making sure I don't have too much pasta. Apparently I also need to watch certain fruits as they are high in sugar. She said no more than 5 grapes at a time. The other thing she said was that because of my disability and not being able to exercise, that I was better off having five or six small meals a day than three I don't actually have three. I have a diet milkshake for breakfast, and then small snacks and dinner in the evening. I know I have to cut out certain things from my snacks, but can anyone tell me what snacks are ok to eat for someone with Type 2 Diabetes please?

Hi Gerry ..it is hard to think of low carb snacks .I find a babybel cheese easy and filling and soft cheese with a stalk of celery dipped in is good.The humble egg is filling and tasty .My go to is caulifower soup .I live off the stuff ! Don't forget curries ..with cauilifower rice as a great filling meal.Basically just think meat and two above ground veg and you can't go far wrong .I've learnt to use lots and lots of spices :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had a thought about your diet milkshake for breakfast. Have you checked to see how many carbs there are in, and is it made with whole milk? I'm afraid I don't know much about these diet products. Might you be better having a full fat yogurt with a few berries thrown in? Or eggs in any which way, maybe bacon and eggs?

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello and welcome. I can't really add much to the excellent advice here and elsewhere in the forum. For a snack you can have pork scratchings. No carbs If they are your thing. Cheap if you have a home bargains near you. Also peanuts are low in carbs but you have to check the label. Different makes differ greatly. The same applies to Peanut butter.

K

Kat100

Hello and welcome ...
Lots of snack ideas ...9 bars are nice when on offer ..4 in a box
A bit of 70% chocolate
For me it is cheese and apple ...
And I do eat the odd banana .....
You see our bodies change , needs change as we reach different stages of hba1c levels etc ...your 3 monthly blood level tests ...
I also do a bit of baking with sugar substitute ...maybe these are thoughts for the future ...
Plenty of ideas given ....to make a start ...best wishes ..Kat

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging

Hi and from being in the mushroom club ( kept in the dark and covered in #%*t to being on this forum has been a life changing experience and if you checkout the advice offered you will get your mojo back! I hope you like coconut because it is zero carb and much more filling than wheat flours I posted a recipe for coconut biscuits , a good source for recipes can be found at blood sugar 101 by Jenny ruhl, let us know how your doing ps are you using a meter to test your blood sugar levels?

K

Kat100

A thought just came to me ..
Snacks ... Almond nuts are good
Dips ...chickpea ....I have little tomatoes ....cucumber ...a few carrot sticks at times ...
Avacardos ..and olives ...

Your list will grow ...

You may find you loose the need to snack as you adjust your diet and eating habits to meet your needs ...

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and from being in the mushroom club ( kept in the dark and covered in #%*t to being on this forum has been a life changing experience and if you checkout the advice offered you will get your mojo back! I hope you like coconut because it is zero carb and much more filling than wheat flours I posted a recipe for coconut biscuits , a good source for recipes can be found at blood sugar 101 by Jenny ruhl, let us know how your doing ps are you using a meter to test your blood sugar levels?
Is coconut 0 carbs? From memory is it not like 10g per 100g

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

She may have rushed you but her advice sounds better than most.

Reactions: 5 people

Jojorid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found eating more veg and fish really helps , and if you need a small amount of carbs then do it , don't completely count them out , just restrict them , read labels on everything for carb content , after awhile you know what's good for you and what's not , just because your type 2 doesn't mean you stop living , you just manage it , monitoring your own blood too takes control into your own hands , always be positive :)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
raw carrots, hazelnuts, cheese chunks, radish, small handful of blueberries. These are all fairly good snacks especially the raw carrots as sticks as they take a long time to digest so make you feel full

GerryOB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your helpful replies (which for some reason are only just all showing up on my screen!). I'm wondering if I ought to stop the diet shake that I have for breakfast. When I read on the carton under Carbohydrates, the 'of which sugars' part was not much less than the carbohydrates itself. It's made with skimmed milk, and I only drink skimmed milk and use skimmed milk in my tea.

I find it confusing that I am now being told to eat things I've previously been told not to, such as cheese, full cream milk and things that are low carb/high fat. The Diabetic Nurse told me I was ok to eat Bananas but to avoid things like grapes as they were too sweet. I find it all so confusing. :(

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your helpful replies (which for some reason are only just all showing up on my screen!). I'm wondering if I ought to stop the diet shake that I have for breakfast. When I read on the carton under Carbohydrates, the 'of which sugars' part was not much less than the carbohydrates itself. It's made with skimmed milk, and I only drink skimmed milk and use skimmed milk in my tea.

I find it confusing that I am now being told to eat things I've previously been told not to, such as cheese, full cream milk and things that are low carb/high fat. The Diabetic Nurse told me I was ok to eat Bananas but to avoid things like grapes as they were too sweet. I find it all so confusing. :(
The of which sugars bit means little as far as Blood Glucose is concerned. It all turns to glucose. The sugars have little nutritional value though.
Im not at all sure that bananas are better than any fruit. They raise my bg quickly and much,

Jojorid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have porridge with either fruit or almonds and honey for breakfast , a mid morning snack of cashew nuts and cheese , lunch of salad and meat or cheese , dinner of lots of veg and meat small amount of potato, some 80% coco chocolate if I fancy it or a dessert of some description , always use skimmed milk , tend to drink black coffee and any zero drinks or no added sugar squash , there's lots of no added sugar products to choose from , I don't like fruit so eat very little of it , my nurse Sid it was good as fruit has different sugars

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

I'd be wary of that "OK to eat bananas" advice as that just is NOT correct for many many Type 2s. If you do eat them, at least stay right away from ripe bananas given the sugar content. Maybe others may care to comment but I think you've just seen some pretty good pointers in the replies thus far.

Reactions: 3 people