1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Just joined

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Confused Linda, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Confused Linda

Confused Linda · Newbie

Hi All
    Have been diagnosed T2for 2 years but definately been in denial for that whole time. With daughter just married and hoping to start a family only NOW concerned about my future health. I want to be around and healthy for my grandchild(ren)
    Hoping this forum will help me come to terms with all of this stuff because as my user name suggests I am confused!!
    I currently take 1x Metformin SR 500mg daily Blood sugar always on the high side currently never less that 9 and sometimes as high as 14 in the morning before food I also take statin 40mg per day
    I KNOW I need to adjust my diet but as you'll all know easier said than done I also need to exercise more ( mind willing body always ready with an excuse. :oops: )
    So with your help I will hopefully start this new year positvely and make this the year I WILL get things on track.
    Have review tomorrow . never looking forward to that but hopefully the last one I will dread

2. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Hi Linda and welcome to the forum :) Don't worry, by joining this forum it will help you not to be confused any more. We have all been through it and you will get through it too. Here is some information that I hope will help you to manage your diabetes better and bring your levels down. I hope your review goes well tomorrow. Ask as many questions as you like as there is always someone here to help.

3. chocoholicnomore

chocoholicnomore Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Linda and welcome to the forum.

I am sure you will find it really helpful. Everyone is so friendly and supportive. Follow daisy's advice and cut carbs which should improve your BG level.

Have a read around the forum, especially Viv's modified atkins diet, and ask as many questions as you want. There is always someone with experience and answers.

Good luck

4. janeislay

janeislay · Active Member

HI Linda

Very sorry to see you're on 40 mg Statins; they have never been shown to be of any benefit to women. Far more important to cut down your carbohydrates - especially anything with flour and sugar in it - and to avoid the inflammation you get from eating too much vegetable oil.

Wishing you all the best
    Jane

5. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

I understand the negative aspects of Statins, but to say they have never been shown to be any good is perhaps a little OTT. Each to their own choice of course, but statins DEFINITELY lower cholesterol level, which is shown to be a big plus for people at risk of stroke or cardiovascular disease. Arguably, all us diabetics are at risk of that. We all have to make a choice based on risk of CVD versus potential risk from statins.

6. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Linda and welcome to the forum, lets hope we can clear up some if not all of your confusion -of course you will have to change your username then :lol:

Is there a reason you are only taking 1 X 500mg of Metformin as the recommended highest dose of 2 X 500mg twice daily (2000mg) will only help to drop levels by around 2 mmol/L therefore 1 X tablet will be totally lost trying to reduce your blood glucose (bg) levels from the highs you are currently experiencing, I suggest you return to see your doctor ASAP and request a revue of your medication as well as taking in the news that carbohydrates turn 100% to sugar :shock: :shock: A reduction in your carbohydrate intake will have a far greater impact on your bg levels than just Metformin, thats not to say you wont need the Metformin as well as it is considered to help in other areas as well. :thumbup:

7. didie

didie · Well-Known Member

Welcome Linda :) You'll find lots of really great advice and tips here.

I wish people would be more careful about making sweeping statements like this. I am on 40 mgs of Statin, am a woman and it has been of great benefit to me reducing my risk of another stroke.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook